Hi all, thought I'd introduce myself here as well as the Book of Faces. 

New owner of a '72 GT6 Mk3

In my possession 2 days so far, list of things to do being compiled already.

Smaller Moto-Lita steering wheel ordered

Considering LED upgrade (any thoughts?)

Few blemishes in places that I'll address

Had my first drive out yesterday evening, great fun and makes an amazing noise

GT6.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome, lovely car and great colour! That sunroof will make for a great summer.

Re smaller wheel - don't go too small or the steering will be heavy; consider semi-dished if like me you need the leg room, or just develop a slouch... I did.

LEDs can make the driving experience better, but even just new instrument bulbs and a clean of the existing setup makes a huge difference. On outer lights such as sidelights or numberplate light they can look too 'modern' for the period look of the car, too white and harsh, but shop around and experiment until you find what's right for you. Your car, enjoy it your way, and do what you feel makes it better.

1 minute ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Welcome, lovely car and great colour! That sunroof will make for a great summer.

Re smaller wheel - don't go too small or the steering will be heavy; consider semi-dished if like me you need the leg room, or just develop a slouch... I did.

LEDs can make the driving experience better, but even just new instrument bulbs and a clean of the existing setup makes a huge difference. On outer lights such as sidelights or numberplate light they can look too 'modern' for the period look of the car, too white and harsh, but shop around and experiment until you find what's right for you. Your car, enjoy it your way, and do what you feel makes it better.

Thanks Colin, yes I agree, I've been looking at some warm white replacements sidelights and appropriate coloured for indicators and stop/tail.

As for the steering wheel, I've gone for a dished, I'm 6'4" and need all the room I can get 

58 minutes ago, Steve P said:

I didn`t bother with the head lights as I think they are fine.

Big improvement with the head lights is putting them on relays, ALL the current for the lights goes through the switch, this is not good! It gets HOT and big voltage drop across the aging switch means dim lights. 

Doug

Yeah I’ve read about the steering column being slightly adjustable, will have to have a look. I’ve got halogen upgrade already it would seem, but don’t think they run from a relay as the brightness varies. 
for the leds Steve P I take it you need negative earth? And some sort of special relay for the flashers?

No special relay for the flashers,I was surprised the original flasher unit still worked.

At first when I tested the indicators all the rear lights flashed,found it needed a good earth to work properly.Yes negative earth.

S

Edited by Steve P