Front bearing replacement

Hi all. I’m back on the gt6 front suspension rebuild and up against time as usual. I thought whilst at it I would replace bearings as I haven’t a clue how old they are but I’ve looked in my Haynes and can’t find much on how to remove the bearings. It just says remove and replace   I found a web site that suggest I need to drift them out - is this correct? Usually it’s a press with an appropriate socket set 

if you can point me in the directions of a step by step guide would be appreciated 

thanks

kevin

yes the description is a bit limited but then it really is a simple process where you get a bar preferably of brass to drift out the outer races from the opposite ends of the hub. Just tap round progressively and they will slide out but beforehand I would have a good look at their condition (pitting or discolouring) because they normally last very well and the replacements may well be of worse quality. Remember even new ones must have play if they are correctly adjusted...

image.png.2bb6879eccdb8577c51bbefd2c1e1bb9.png

The issue I had just recently when fitting new calipers to a Mk2 Spitfire which required the hubs and bearings to be serviced, the issue was the new inner felt seals I fitted the felt was too thick and had to be cut down, the inner dia of the felt was very tight on the vertical link stub shaft raised annulus, and the steel backing for the felt seal was too small on its inner dia so that it fouled the same stub axle annulus hence distorting and pushing onto the inner bearing causing it to stop it rotating on the balls. I had to trim the felt down , then enlarge the inner dia of the seal steel backing so it cleared the stub axle raised annulus, and didn't interfere with the inner bearing. Blo**y poor quality aftermarket supply!!!

Remember only the bearings need packing with grease not the hub area between the bearings this is unnecessary as it holds heat into the hub!

Edited by Peter Truman

yes everybody seems to be worrying about these seals and then replacing them with the usual pattern part problems but is it really necessary? Do they do very much as mine are still originals (as are the bearings) and I just get on and drive....

3 hours ago, johny said:

I would have a good look at their condition (pitting or discolouring) because they normally last very well and the replacements may well be of worse quality. 

It used to be that bearings were matched to their races so had to be replaced together, but these days... who knows if that's still the case?

For race removal, look inside the hub, you'll see the two notches one opposite the other for each race; a good drift or even a heavy screwdriver will press those out from behind.

DSCF4982.thumb.JPG.46f0cffc0e434f986b28b08b3ad45fbd.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It used to be that bearings were matched to their races so had to be replaced together, but these days... who knows if that's still the case?

They definitely come as a set: inner and outer races and bearing, so crazy not to use all but I wouldnt replace them without finding a good reason... 

Edited by johny

Thanks, I bought replacements simply because I’ve replaced everything else in sorting out the vertical supports - it seamed sensible to do everything but am feeling like I neednt have bothered if the advice is to don’t meddle unless it’s a problem.

I’ll give a light tap and if they move then I’ll continue else I’ll just re assemble and put he bits back in the spares box  the replacements are Timkin so should be ok quality I hope but agree only replace as pairs 

thanks Kevin

and with the seal the tin cup fits against the bearing then the felt ring which runs direct onto the stub axle face 

nip the castle nut to a finger nip then back it of at least one flat  you must have some end float or you will quickly seize the outer bearing to the stub axle 

so around 3mm of rock at the rim /tyre is about correct   there are 2 holes for the split pin to aid fine adjustment 

the  spec is 0.002" to 0.008"  and at so aim ant a tad more than 0.002 but with 0.008" you will think the wheels falling off   

makes the bearing last but will push back brake pads and affect the steering feed back  

0.002 to 0.004 is best   just enough for you to detect some rock at the rim /wheel 

you cant measure this effectively so rely on the feel , try 1 flat maybe 2   select the hole in the stub that gives the best result 

so many get this all messed up   so  have fun 

Pete

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kevinrpayne said:

Thanks, I bought replacements simply because I’ve replaced everything else in sorting out the vertical supports - it seamed sensible to do everything but am feeling like I neednt have bothered if the advice is to don’t meddle unless it’s a problem.

Well its just that having the front wheel bearing with play is one of our cars better points because the inner races can rotate so the impacts during use are spread evenly unlike a modern design where its always in the same place which facilitates an earlier failure...

3 hours ago, johny said:

because the inner races can rotate so the impacts during use are spread

not many want to accept that    but  a def +1 for that 

rears rotate in the trunion hsg  to do the same    its a pet hate of mine  as a good basic design concept 

Pete

even after soaking the seal in oil then compressing it overnight to remove the surplus oil the felt is still very thick with the side effect of pushing the hub outwards causing the brake rotor to be off-center in the caliper gap ie pistons with possible rubbing on the caliper body or inability to fit the brake pads, all very disheartening!

There is a guy in the US who was a metallurgy engineer and he made a set of the best bolts, nuts, washers and felt he could find. The sets are expensive but I lucked out on the  shipping having a US address in addition to my German one.

I can link/ post about it when I get some free time (covid has hit us again...)

its best to reuse the originals  far too many aftermarket are just very wrong "look a likes " 

+ 1 for club shop having the correct ones 

anyone tried to trim the thick uns with a razor blade ?????

in reality the orig felts last for ever unless its had some catastrophic failure 

Pete 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

anyone tried to trim the thick uns with a razor blade ?????

in reality the orig felts last for ever unless its had some catastrophic failure 

No but I've swapped the felt over ie used the better fitting original tincup with the felt out of a new ill-fitting one. Well greased, it should compress down. I know I posted this recently somewhere else but you fit the hub without the felt seal and torque it up, then mark where the nut sits, then remove, fit the felt seal, and refit to the original marks. That way the felt doesn't affect the endfloat.

• Like 2

Just to say I’m so happy to have found this post ! I’ve been having exactly this problem when replacing the bearing after a mot remark .. I’m going to try fitting the old seal at the weekend and report back . Thank you ..

1 minute ago, Jbc562l said:

Just to say I’m so happy to have found this post ! I’ve been having exactly this problem when replacing the bearing after a mot remark .. I’m going to try fitting the old seal at the weekend and report back . Thank you ..

Many MoT places are not aware that the bearings on the small chassis cars are supposed to have play! I have had advisories on and off for years, but the bearings are totally fine and correctly adjusted…

• Thanks 1

This is now turning into a nightmare project that was only going to take a few hrs. I’ve tried to re assemble the bearing and it won’t move. I’ve measured the new stub axle that I’m yet to fit on the other side and it’s 2 thou over the diameter of the old one and also feels like it was turned rather than ground. Can’t get the bearing off now. 

Just love it. great. 

kevin

IMG_0575.jpeg

Managed to extract by removing the whole axle and both the inner and outer stub axles are 2 thou oversize to the old shaft and the new bearings go on the old shaft. Both shafts are the same size 

Unfortunately I’ve allowed the Myford to go to the sons house and have spent a very happy 30 mins spinning it in a drill with fine wet and dry and have achieved precisely almost nothing. 

other than fitting the old ones, any suggestions?

kevin