Herald 13/60 crankcase breather valve

Colin Lindsay

I've just been reading a Herald maintenance book from 1972 which refers to the crankcase breather valve on the Herald 13/60. I've ever seen one on this model; does anyone know if they were fitted to any along the production life of the 13/60, even maybe the GK engines, or on exported cars? Just curious...

IMG_6228.jpeg.32c2b1dd63ca5a3e1f047bdf70a9e9d7.jpeg  IMG_6227.jpeg.af0d6a6d1dc0781a02fafe5ff5bf7d60.jpeg

Edited by Colin Lindsay

• Colin Lindsay changed the title to Herald 13/60 crankcase breather valve
28 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Colin,

You write about the oil filler cap, and show pictures of the pressure regulating valve between the rocker and the inlet manifold.   Apples and pears.

I'm sure Colin will reply but I can't see any reference made by Colin to oil filler cap, although in his photo there is the section on the oil filler cap before the subject of his post.

As for the crank case breather my 13/60, 1968 model, has the hose direct to air filter.

My 71 13/60 also has hose direct to air filter.

The question re the oil cap is interesting, mind Colin did edit the title after the first posting. Maybe it was miss titled with reference to the oil cap? Maybe John did read the top section of the photo? Maybe it is about valve rocker clearance? Someone may be half asleep?

10 hours ago, Chris A said:

I'm sure Colin will reply but I can't see any reference made by Colin to oil filler cap, although in his photo there is the section on the oil filler cap before the subject of his post.

As for the crank case breather my 13/60, 1968 model, has the hose direct to air filter.

He used "oil filler cap", then edited his text 

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

He used "oil filler cap", then edited his text 

Actually no he didn't. He edited the text solely as he had written as a title 'Herald 13/60' but forgotten to put anything else after that, so added 'crankcase breather valve' in the title alone. NO amendment was made to text.

This thread is getting interesting. As I said my 13/60 has the hose to filter system, therefore according to the owners handbook I should be using a gauze filter not the paper one I do use.

The photos are from this handbook. As you will see the engine bay overview one shows the direct system and further along both systems are explained, so I too wonder if the valve version was on export versions, USA maybe?

img065.thumb.jpg.93e22a75bed9fe46af7b15c7b2ef4c1c.jpg

img068.thumb.jpg.92fd456d167dcf41eb6dd1de7fabe05e.jpgimg067.thumb.jpg.e8416a7994af47398767b4385be1096a.jpg

OR, Triumph just made it up as they went along and fitted whatever was available each day. 🤔