Smiths oil pressure gauge connection at instrument end

Tipidave

I have recently added a stainless steel radio mount beneath the dash that has provision for two smiths gauges. I have relocated the temperature and pressure gauges from the dash to this new position as a precursor to replacing the wooden dash. There is a was a drip of oil from the pressure gauge and it is not giving a steady reading now. 

I note that the fairly rigid plastic oil feed to the gauge is simply pushed into place onto short tube protruding from the brass fitting and thence onto the threaded fitting on the gauge. There is nothing other than friction to hold it in place.

I have re-cut a new end to the tube and have pushed it on as far as I can but there is about a 5 mm 'gap' and a small red fibre washer is still able to move.  I used a pair of long nosed pliers to push the plastic feed tube further on and now there is the merest hint of a weep. Does this simply need to be pushed on further? It doesn't seem to want to go any further and I don't want to damage the fitting. Any tips or advice gratefully received... I just have visions of an extensive oil leak into the cockpit at high revs!

Looking at the kits on line seems the plastic pipe does just push on the brass fitting and then that seals with the fibre washer being compressed by the threaded nut.

However the pipe definitely must push on right up to the limit of the shoulder of the fitting.... 

You say the pipe is rigid, and old? Ridged also means brittle for old plastic pipe. I'd get a new pipe it will be softer and go on easier. The pipe is nothing special B & Q stuff will do. Or you could get an armoured one which protects from flying road debris. I've an armoured one.

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

New pipes are readily available, I bought one from eBay a few months back. There are different ends on the pipe; one has a flat end which seals to the block t-piece and the other is inverted and the cone-shaped spigot on the rear of the instrument fits into it. I didn't touch the factory fittings, they seem to have sealed it very well at either end and it's probably heatshrunk or the like to keep it in place.

Thanks for all the replies… I cannot for the life of me get the pipe to fit … so as suggested tomorrow I will be buying a new pipe and a t piece to replace the banjo fitting. Thanks for the observations and suggestions 😀👍

This is the connection to the gauge on my '74.  There is a leather washer inserted before the nut is tightened to the gauge.  That nylon tube is not easy to press onto the brass barb.  It takes a fixture and a press to do it.

Ed

IMG_1847a.JPG

IMG_1848a.JPG