Transfer of ownership

euan douglas

I'm about to buy a Sprint and am looking for clarification on the change of ownership paperwork (V5).  The seller will do his bit online but I am unsure what part of the V5, if any, I should expect to get from him.  I gather if he does it online then the transfer is immediate (?) but does the new V5 in my name come to me automatically or do I have to send any part of the V5 to DVLA? 

Also can I tax the car before I get the new V5 and if so then how and what do I need, for example the 11 digit reference number, and can I do this online or do I need to go to a Post Office?

I think that's all for now but some other queries may come to mind - grateful for all advice.  I know it's not difficult, straightforward even, but I just need clarification.

Euan

DO IT ONLINE!

I've put that in large letters as last time I bought a Herald, I did it by post and the documents took five weeks to come back, during which time I couldn't tax or SORN it. Do it online, the details go through immediately, and the new V5 will be back with you asap.

10 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

What to NI?!!

Doug

Yep, all the way from sunny Swansea. Our local used to be Coleraine, I remember bombing up there at full speed one Thursday with a V5 from a car from which I was transferring the numberplate, and on which the MOT expired at midnight. Got there at 4.45pm, they closed at 5pm, and they transferred it on the spot. Excellent service. You couldn't do that by post.

Yes, you can tax a car that is not yet registered on your name, or you can not drive it home, as tax expires at point of sale.

You do it with the details on the old V5 I think.

the above only applies with latest V5 possibly, If the seller has an older style one, you may have to wait for it to be in your name (get seller to do it online) and then go online as soon as the V5 arrives and tax immediately, and ignore the threatening letter that arrives the same day or day after about having an untaxed car on the road.

other option is to ask seller to delay going online to update V5 until you tell him you are home.

cheers Colin

Yes, you can tax a car that is not yet registered on your name, or you can not drive it home, as tax expires at point of sale.

You do it with the details on the old V5 I think.

the above only applies with latest V5 possibly, If the seller has an older style one, you may have to wait for it to be in your name (get seller to do it online) and then go online as soon as the V5 arrives and tax immediately, and ignore the threatening letter that arrives the same day or day after about having an untaxed car on the road.

other option is to ask seller to delay going online to update V5 until you tell him you are home.

cheers Colin

p.s just ch3cked, with latest V5 you only get green slip, seller keeps rest for GDPR reasons.

Seller is solely responsible for notifying new owner details to DVLA, NOT buyer.

green slip allows you to tax it.

Has to be quite an old V5 for buyer to be responsible for notifying details, most cars should have had a new style one sent out by now it says.

Lovely - thanks everyone.  I'll discuss with the seller when I see him and the car tomorrow.  I know when I sold the GT6 I just notified DVLA online and almost immediately got an email confirming I was no longer the owner, but whether the buyer got a new V5 quickly or not I've no idea.  Now the boot is on the other foot!

Euan

You really only need the reference number from the new keeper section of the V5. I just got that over the phone for my modern (was a car supermarket deliver to your door type place I bought from) and never saw the old V5!