spitfire running rough

foshi

hi 

49 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Surely it can't be a carb or fuel problem as with a single carb all four cylinders would be effected. It must, and I use that word cautiously, be an electrical fault on 3 and 4 only. Try swapping leads and plugs? 

Iain 

been on it a couple of hours now swapped leads around changed leads cleaned plugs swopped around cleaned points swopped coil for a known one , has no ballast running a 12v coil so i thought would try and bypass the ignition switch in doing so the engine starts fine but shuts off dead after a few seconds , so back to running from switch ,if left running for around 15 min the engine will just shut off dead  got to be electrical  my thinking but what. does take a couple of cranks to start again though , thinking as you said can not be carb what next though , just to add engine does not overheat starts on the button from cold little choke although only running on 2 pots 

I had a dodgy spade connection on my coil that caused a lot of head scratching before I tracked it down. It looked fine it was a bit loose on the male so I cleaned it up and tweaked it with some pliers and to date it's been fine........🤞

However why only the back two cylinders but worth checking. 

Iain 

17 minutes ago, trigolf said:

Am I right in thinking that in the early days of alternators you had to disconnect the alternator when welding to avoid damage to the diodes in it? Or is it dynamo fitted? Just a thought.

i always where possible disconnect the battery , working fine 

my thoughts are let it run the when it shuts off disconnect the fuel pipe from the carb and pump ,if it then firs up at least i can eliminate fuel flow as the problem although sure its not fuel related now

first thing i tried  i dont want to start swopping parts as some of the new stuff has problems ,so using my stash of used where i can , hoping someone will come up with a answer as running out of ideas ,makes no sense goes up ramps like a rocket then after a week runs  like a bag of nails paul

Edited by foshi

success went out this mourning usually starts on the button not today though turning like the timing was out strange, ok last night , so went through my pile of old spares found a complete dizzi took the rotor arm out swopped it with the new red type i fitted yesterday  she fired straight up  running great, now to get rid paul

just to add spot on again pete same as you no idea why going on the ramp and off could cause the problem still the carbs had a good clean now , still learning after 50 years messing with cars paul

Edited by foshi

48 minutes ago, johny said:

And how a rotor arm can affect just cylinders 3 and 4 is incredible but such is life🤪

no idea all i know its running fine, not even tempted to fit the old one back just to see in case it all goes wrong again pauil

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

just love the simple fix  but the headache of getting there can be very painful  

Pete

just got back from him tacking the car  only for it to cut out 4 miles down the road my heart sank , time i got to him car was running again  the idiot i am only put the coil wires back the wrong way round quick swop and he reported drove him 20 miles home no problems .

On 01/08/2023 at 14:39, Iain T said:

Surely it can't be a carb or fuel problem as with a single carb all four cylinders would be effected. It must, and I use that word cautiously, be an electrical fault on 3 and 4 only. Try swapping leads and plugs? 

Not the case here, though inlet manifold could have leaks?, affecting individual cylinders?