Herald 1200 crank pulley nut size

Tipidave

Hi all

i am about to replace the timing cover oil seal and wonder if anyone can confirm the crank nut size… does 1 7/16 inch sound correct? If so this is 36.5mm would a 37mm impact socket be to big? I am having difficulty getting hold of the imperial socket. Thanks in anticipation of replies

david

I had reason to go out to the Garage just now, and out of curiosity I measured the 13/60 Engine sat in the cradle, 1-13/16", (<47mm) Such that I went back and double checked. That IS one dirty big Nut!!!. I don`t think I even have a socket that big in my 3/4" socket set.

Pete

27 minutes ago, JohnD said:

It may interest some that 1 13/16" is exactly the same as the wheel nuts of a WW2 Willys Jeep!

I know because that was how we changed the pulley on Mark Field's ADU 1B at Classic Le Mans in .... Oh, many years ago!

John

I havent actually Checked. But the Wheel nuts of my American R-V where not that big. And that was a BIG spanner job, around 1-1/2"AF, and a jack stand, and a 6ft(ish) length of Scaffold, Just to get the Bu**er`s undone. The wheel (nut) Torque, was 375lb/ft (officially). But there was 8 per wheel.

Pete

So I guess the second part of my post is on my mind… if I am unable to get a 1 7/16 impact socket… would a 37mm be a satisfactory substitute? Would the .5mm oversize be significant when using an impact driver? 

Edited by Tipidave

8 hours ago, Tipidave said:

So I guess the second part of my post is on my mind… if I am unable to get a 1 7/16 impact socket… would a 37mm be a satisfactory substitute? Would the .5mm oversize be significant when using an impact driver? 

Thatll be fine on that size of nut, not something youre doing every week👍

Edited by johny