GT6 Mk3 only runs well with VERY advanced timing. Any ideas why?

nicrguy1966

Anyone's starter for 10.

I have a higher compression ratio of about 10.5:1 therefor the fuel/air mixture is compressed more than in a standard 9:1(?) head. Basic physics tells us when a gas is compressed it generates heat. Given the above posts regarding speed of flame would my head with the aid of compressed molecules and generated heat require less ignition advance than a standard 9:1 head?

Iain 

27 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

in general   I reckon the answer is probably Yes 

more efficiency demands less advance 

That's my thinking hence when I previously had my advance at over 20 degrees the engine pinked but nicrguy1966 doesn't. 

Iain 

3 hours ago, Iain T said:

Anyone's starter for 10.

I have a higher compression ratio of about 10.5:1 therefor the fuel/air mixture is compressed more than in a standard 9:1(?) head. Basic physics tells us when a gas is compressed it generates heat. Given the above posts regarding speed of flame would my head with the aid of compressed molecules and generated heat require less ignition advance than a standard 9:1 head?

Iain 

A higher octane fuel would help here with pinking so that the mix doesnt ignite prematurely before the flame front reaches it...

20 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

the best part of getting old is you cant hear the pinking !!! 

I call that wife mode. It's that background noise that is sometimes annoying but ignore at your peril! 

I'm sure my wife can hear me typing this.......... 

Iain 

On 06/01/2024 at 12:23, Chris A said:

She won't need to hear you typing, simply thinking those sort of things is enough 

And I thought it was just my other ladies I had to keep secret from the wife!

Hi. Without re-reading this long post (I've forgotten a lot), I'm a bit confused.

From what I recall, it suggests that advancing the timing a fair bit, can help, to counteract the difference with, modern fuels?.

I have always understood?, that you generally, had to retard the ignition, to counteract/assist, with the burning of modern fuels?.

Thanks, Dave 

Theres two issues here Dave. One, lower octanes than our cars were designed for which as you say can be counteracted by retarding ignition. Then two, the increasing percentage of ethanol being added which is much more of an unknown.

For the latter we're postulating that advancing the ignition might produce more efficient combustion because the ethanol burn is slower and so possibly not completing until too late...

24 minutes ago, johny said:

Theres two issues here Dave. One, lower octanes than our cars were designed for which as you say can be counteracted by retarding ignition. Then two, the increasing percentage of ethanol being added which is much more of an unknown.

For the latter we're postulating that advancing the ignition might produce more efficient combustion because the ethanol burn is slower and so possibly not completing until too late...

Thanks for simplifying/summarising the thread Johny.

As a layman with a standard car, in general use, I guess, I'll just keep with the "Retard, until it stops pinking" ,technique.

Edited by daverclasper

9 minutes ago, johny said:

Yes no point advancing if youve got pinking. However if not some people are trying more advance than the manual setting...

I'm advancing the timing and going for a drive to see how it performs in various conditions, from low rev hill starts to acceleration from 50-70 on the motorway.

Even after adjusting the cam timing, with the ignition timing set to 'standard' low rev power was very poor. So far, each time I've advanced the ignition, overall performance has improved.

Trial and error will continue through the winter months, with maybe another play with the cam timing when the weather warms up.

12 hours ago, nicrguy1966 said:

I'm advancing the timing and going for a drive to see how it performs in various conditions, from low rev hill starts to acceleration from 50-70 on the motorway.

Do you know what your advance is now? 

Thread drift....everytime I see your profile name I pronounce it knicker guy a play Pink Floyd's Arnold Layne in my head! Yes my wife thinks I'm odd🤪. YouTube the song, a classic! 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T