Back seat for a coupe

marty

This '60s coupe that I just recently purchased has no carpet and there is nothing in the back except for side panels my question is did these cars come with a back seat or was it just carpet and a panel. Pictures online of the interior back on a coup seem to be very few only found one and it looks like it was a vinyl covered back panel. Also it looks like a backseat from a sedan may fit it?

The rear seat was an 'Optional Extra' for the Herald coupe - cost £14.3.4d back in the day according to Mike Costigan's originality guide - he described it as 'a surprisingly popular optional ,considering the minimal headroom for back seat passengers'.

I'm not sure if the back seat from the saloon/sedan fits - probably slightly too big but I do not have measurements to hand.

Chris

Thank you all for the information and the picture. Most likely when I get to it I will probably cut a light plywood for the back and across the bottom and carpet it for now. I definitely can see that a full size adult would have a little tight fit but if need be could get by. And for some reason I just keep picturing Nora ivy and pearl sitting in the back of that convertible what a tight fit that must have been.

In some ways like the First Ford Capri. Th rear seats in those where only any good for a couple of small children, but that was the market it was aimed at, i.e: the 2.2 family. Who wanted a "sporty" car but needed 4 seats. Back then, no belts or child seats anyway.

Pete

The backrest is just a rectangular panel held in by two clips at the top; you can drop it down to make a rear shelf. The rear screen is at such an angle there's no headroom. It's so long since I had that car I can't remember, but I think the sides of the rear seat squab just go straight down with no side cubbyholes or pockets as in the saloon.

• 3 weeks later...