Vitesse Mk2 rear suspension creak

I can hear a creaking sound from my left rear of the car when going over pot holes / rough road surfaces.

I have removed the rear wheels and placed axle stands underneath the suspension. If I push the car up and down I can replicate the sound but I am struggling to pinpoint the cause. I can see slight traces of rust between some of the leaf springs.

My next step is to disconnect the rear shock absorber and try to replicate the sound again.

Is there a common fault that I should investigate?

Pete.

7 minutes ago, Gully said:

If you have polybushes fitted, they can creak. The offside rear bushes on my GT6 creak in warm weather!

Gully

That’s interesting, I see the previous owner has fitted some red ones to the bottom of the trunnions. 
Many thanks.

Pete.

A broken leaf should be easy enough to spot and I can't imagine an MOT tester missing such a fault.

You'll only need a spring lifter if you're planning on detaching the spring from the hubs and / or replacing bushes. You don't really need to do that to spot a broken leaf.

Another thought is that the buttons between the leaves have worn away over time and the leaves are grinding. That would be a removal and refurbishment of the spring, which you would clearly need the lifter for.

Gully

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gully said:

A broken leaf should be easy enough to spot and I can't imagine an MOT tester missing such a fault.

You'll only need a spring lifter if you're planning on detaching the spring from the hubs and / or replacing bushes. You don't really need to do that to spot a broken leaf.

Another thought is that the buttons between the leaves have worn away over time and the leaves are grinding. That would be a removal and refurbishment of the spring, which you would clearly need the lifter for.

Gully

Thanks Gully 👍

yes you  will need to make /borrow  a lifter for rotoflex  as the coupling takes a lot of effort to raise the upright to meet the spring  

a stout bar with an exhaust /clamp to hold the spring will work  DIY fashion it needs to be solid but not rocket science 

all others with a swing axle just needs a lift with a jack much easier  

pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

35 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes you  will need to make /borrow  a lifter for rotoflex  as the coupling takes a lot of effort to raise the upright to meet the spring  

a stout bar with an exhaust /clamp to hold the spring will work  DIY fashion it needs to be solid but not rocket science 

all others with a swing axle just needs a lift with a jack much easier  

pete

Excellent…….Pete Lewis to the rescue again!

I have a stout bar, will check on the exhaust clamp situation. 👍

JohnD.

That’s really handy to know, I have a Mig, Arc, Oxy acetylene and some square tube in the garage 😀. I use a hard copy of the Workshop manual so I don’t have a Haynes manual🙁. Time to go a searching I guess.

As always…. Your help is much appreciated.

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Puglet1

Interested to know whether you identified the creaking noise from the n.s.r?

I have that issue on my mk2  too, so far all I’ve tried is spraying bushes and spring while getting new rear tyres fitted. (Some improvement).

Just another job on the growing to do list, wish my hair would grow at the same rate 😄

• Haha 1

Have you tried slackening the nut on the long bolt (that goes through both outer bushes on the wishbone) and making sure that the bolt will actually turn in the bushes? They can sieze in the bush which can cause creaking. I slacken the bolt once in a while and check it turns, before re-torqueing.

• Thanks 1

Hi Straightsix.

I started my investigation into the noise by removing the shock absorber and doing the same as you have already done….spraying the spring and bushes which had no effect whatsoever!
My intention was to strip the rear suspension and fit a rear telescopic shock absorber conversion and investigate the noise at the same time.

I am also going to overhaul the rear spring.

I have all of the parts apart from rear shock absorber conversion brackets which are on back order so my investigation into the noise has halted for the moment.

My focus has now switched to a carb and ignition timing problem.

So, in the meantime, I reckon Trigolf has a good point there so if you are able to do as he suggests, please let me know the result.

All the best.

Pete.