Compression test

stebec

if its a mechanical pump i have never heard or needed to isolate any pump 

you just need a good battery state   all spark plugs out   fit the gauge , open the throttles 

and crank over  to get  the highest reading  

and the jobs done 

where does the fuel pump idea come from ...who's instructions ????

Pete

19 minutes ago, johny said:

It must be refering to electrical pumps as theres no practical way of isolating a mechanical one. If youre going to spin the engine on the ignition switch it is a good idea to disable your spark by disconnecting the negative wire(s) at the coil...

Thanks Johny

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

if its a mechanical pump i have never heard or needed to isolate any pump 

you just need a good battery state   all spark plugs out   fit the gauge , open the throttles 

and crank over  to get  the highest reading  

and the jobs done 

where does the fuel pump idea come from ...who's instructions ????

Pete

Hi Pete, I read the instructions wrong, I’m knew to the classic car scene so it’s a big learning curve, how do I keep the throttles open?

steve

If you get good compression without oil you don't need to bother retesting with oil.

If you get poor compression without, retest with oil.  The oil 'sinks' so helps the piston rings seal so if you get good/better compression with oil your poor compression's probably down to worn rings/boars.  Oil doesn't 'levitate' though so has no impact on the valves so if you still have poor compression with oil it's probably down to worn valves.  Or of course it could be both!

Edited by Mjit

OK, if you spend a long time cranking a six pot with the throttles open and fuel pump enabled, then you may fill the exhaust with a load of ready to pop mixture next time you start it. I put a lovely circular smut on the garage door doing just that.

The mechanical pump can be disabled if it has a priming lever. Just tie it up and it cannot pump fuel.

Probably totally unnecessary on a four pot.

Well your highest vs lowest readings are 10% separated, as Pete said above you’re looking for a max of roughly 5%. Do you get consistent readings though? If you’re not familiar with the process I’d do three readings per cylinder. If you get consistent readings per cylinder you can be confident of the reproducibility of your method and therefore confident that you’re seeing a real difference between cylinders. 

Your No.3 is 8% lower than the mean for the others, so yes, could be a problem.   My limit is 5%.

But if you haven't done it before, practice again , and confirm.  As said three or four  complete tests.

The spoonful of oil will tell you if the low pressure is a leaky valve.  The oil will raise the pressure on all cylinders, by improving the ring seal.   It won't affect a leaky valve, where the pressure will not rise.

John

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1