Triumph Herald 13/60 4.55 differential

Chris Longhurst

I was re-reading the article by Finn-Adam in Courier #520 pp12-15 October 2023 on 'odometers/speedometers' & noticed the 13/60 was listed both with 'normal' 4.11 diff and a 4.55 diff. As I had not heard of a 4.55 diiff. for a 13/60 before I had a quick look in my 13/60 Parts Manual (2nd edition). Sure enough it is there (Stanpart #214683 for the 4.11 and 214687 for the 4.55 diff.)

The 4.55 was listed as for Hong Kong and Special Orders.

Any idea why

1. Hong Kong 13/60s need a 'special diff.' (I did check and 1200 Heralds only had 4.11 in my early Parts Manual)?

2. For those ordering a 4.55 diff. in other countries - why would they want this ? (both mile & km 'speedos' are available to suit the 4.55 ratio)

Just curious ! Chris

2 hours ago, johny said:

Is Hong Kong hilly? Plus maybe the cars were more likely to be fully loaded over there....

After six months based there with the RN in 1973, yes and yes.

As a lowly Midshipmen from Coventry (born three miles from the Standard) I was sometimes left ashore for the day to sort the Captains MGB, Navigating Officers TR and Gunnery Officers MGA. May explain why I partially failed my Fleet Examination Board shortly thereafter, but career did recover! 

Dick

Edited by Dick Twitchen
Sent too quick
  • Like 2

Flew out of there 2nd July 1974, according to the stamp in my seamans book, on a British Airways Trident. Kia-Tak Airport, I swear to this day the pilot was collecting washing from the apartment roofs, as we climbed at as steep a take off angle as I`ve ever experienced, it was easy to convince yourself that we where not going to make it! So yes H-K is quite "Hilly". The night before 4 of us had had a Rickshaw race, WE did the pulling the owner sat in the rickshaw. H-K was a great run ashore, But the flight home was acompanied by one of the worst headaches I`ve ever had. 

Useless info. to make the new airport, the Chinesse virtually bulldozed a small mountain into H-K Harbour to create the site.

Times gone by. Pete

That is one regret I have, not flying into Kai-tak airport.

Pilots had to pass special exams, and have balls of steel to fly straight at a cliff face. It even had something painted on it for them to aim at, then bank hard at the last second.

And yes, HK island is very hilly.

1 minute ago, thescrapman said:

That is one regret I have, not flying into Kai-tak airport.

Pilots had to pass special exams, and have balls of steel to fly straight at a cliff face. It even had something painted on it for them to aim at, then bank hard at the last second.

And yes, HK island is very hilly.

It used to be on one of the old "dos era" "flight simulator" offerings? as I remember. Back in the 90`s My wife worked at Westland Helicopters, they had some sort of simulator programe running for the (then) new EH101. The IT tech`s, as they do, had loaded a simulator package. She was down in their office one lunchtime and they offered her a go on the thing, she chose Kia-Tak, we had been to H-K for our 30th anniversary. She was quite pleased when she manged to land without crashing or finishing up in the harbour, but failed on the takeoff.

Pete