Moto-Lita and clearance

Looking at fitting a Moto-lita steering wheel to my 1981 Spitfire 1500.  I am aware that the boss will make the wheel stand off the column more than the standard steering wheel. Has anyone found this to be an issue? Looking at a flat 14", but do not want to feel cramped with bent arms, and trouble reaching stalks!  

Bren, there was one fitted to my 81 Spit when I bought it, I have tried the original back on and don't notice any difference in position. Moto L certainly looks nicer.

Derek.

• Like 1

dont forget you can adjust the stand off of the column its all collapsible so it will be able to move the 

whole column   often just needs a really firm shove as the tube is in a slip clamp and the inner shaft 

has the slip clamp all to allow collapse in a crash   so its all ...moveable in and out 

Pete

• Like 1

Bren,

I've got one on my GT6, didn't notice any difference in position. Don't go too small a diameter or the steering will get VERY heavy. I went for a leather rim, more comfortable than wood.

Doug

• Like 1

you may need a bit of gorilla flakes for breaky  it moves but as i said its there to collapse on impact but it will move 

to make it easier you can undo everything but you must set the slip clamp on the shaft as per the workshop manual >

Pete

• Like 1

Thansk for the replies.

My thinking was, the distance which the boss stands off the plastic shroud on the steering column is fixed. The original steering wheel sits very close to the shroud. The Moto-lita boss being deeper, will bring the wheel closer to the driver.  

On 12/03/2024 at 07:53, dougbgt6 said:

I went for a leather rim, more comfortable than wood

My Vitesse came with a wood rim and on a sunny sweaty day the polished wood rim gets slippy. I'm thinking of fitting a leather rim.

Iain

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Go on! You know you want to!

Very stylish but no thanks although the tan would compliment the car's tan interior🤔. They do sell yellow gloves for your GT6…!

Perhaps more suited to Jaaaag owners?

Iain

Edited by Iain T

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just for information. The correct Moto-Lita boss for the Later Spitfire, with TR7 column and shroud around indicator and wiper stalks.  Is a B59 and not the B45, which seems to be advertised in most places, for Triumph Spitfires from 1977 onwards.

I have read on a few forums of people cutting the shroud to accept the longer B45 boss body. With the B59 its a straight fit with no cutting required.  

Edited by Bren