Fan motor alternative

Hi everyone, the heater motor fan has stopped working on my 1965 Vitesse.  I thought it might be an excuse to upgrade. I have read of Nissan Micra fans fitting without any alterations but dependent upon the year of the Nissan. Could I kindly ask for a link to save me a lot of research and knowing me getting it wrong as well. Help appreciated.  With thanks.  Bruce 

23 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Smart car fans also work well. Very quiet and at the moment quite cheap.

Colin with this upgrade I know the air blast will be more powerful but does the air come out warm enough? I suspect with my heater output the temperature would be quite low...

20 minutes ago, johny said:

Colin with this upgrade I know the air blast will be more powerful but does the air come out warm enough? I suspect with my heater output the temperature would be quite low...

You can always add a variable rheostat control knob (Is that the 'correct' term?) which allows you to control the speed. I bought a very cheap one off eBay, about £4, so you can fine tune the fan output for the best speed to heat ratio. You are always limited by the state and output of the heater matrix, but as long as it's clear and free-flowing you'll have a better chance of demisting the Herald if not heating it to comfortable levels with the higher fan output. 

• Like 2

My Vitesse had a poor heater, I took all of it apart, lubricated the fan motor and put a new control valve and flushed the matrix. Then tested the switch and found it was really intermittent. Found a NOS one on e bay for £15 and fitted that, bingo, fan much faster and heater warmer.

Not that it matters much in a CV but it did help when I was driving it in January with the roof down at -1 degrees.

S

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve P said:

Not that it matters much in a CV but it did help when I was driving it in January with the roof down at -1 degrees.

S

Last November I used my 13/60 convertible in a charity run and it was 'P' ing it down all day, so pulled the heater control knob out to open it up. No use at all! Several kilometres later I realised it might be better if I switched the fan on and directed the air to the windscreen rather than footwell. There was a real & surprising improvement, to be honest I was quite impressed with it. Should those comments be transferred to the 'Blond moments' thread???

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Several kilometres later I realised it might be better if I switched the fan on and directed the air to the windscreen rather than footwell. There was a real & surprising improvement, to be honest I was quite impressed with it.

There is a page in the Herald glovebox manual with a settings table for different conditions when using the heater/blower - window open slightly, distribution to windscreen, heat on with fan etc.

4 hours ago, Steve P said:

Ah yes!! Driving my 1200 into work at 3pm in lovely Winter sunlight was easy on December 23rd, driving home again at 3am wasn't. I gave up after a mile at most and put the hood up. I don't think the engine would ever have warmed up enough for the heater to have made even a slight difference. More recently a Boxing Day run almost cost me fingers and ears in the 13/60. Modern convertibles, such as my wife's former Saab and my current BMW have superb heaters, it seems way in excess of the output of any of our saloons, but Heralds are marginal at best. 

3 hours ago, Morgana said:

There is a page in the Herald glovebox manual with a settings table for different conditions when using the heater/blower - window open slightly, distribution to windscreen, heat on with fan etc.

Yes I know, but :-

1. Handbook wasn't in the car

2. I was too busy wiping the windscreen with a towel to clear the condensation to read it even if it was

3. Normally I have it set to the footwell and off, just using it on cool days with the roof down

4. The main reason : brain not working. 🙄