Speedo not working - Vitesse

easy enough to dis assemble an angle drive for a clean and lube

the welch plug cap may need some work  to refit and seal 

its a simple bevel gear drive nothing magical 

but you can knock it to peices in a minute 

Pete

Here are some Speedo Drives the dismantled one may not be Triumph the Cable drive connection end is a smaller diameter, but you can see the gearbox drive end, unfortunately the rack drive is still pinned in place 

The two left ones are Triumph but the middle one has a short square cable ie gearbox drive end I assume it's been cut short for some reason, but still works??

Remember Pete L warning to include a washer in the gearbox end or else you can lock it up and damage/break the unit, see my fibro washers

Trouble is I take it the gears strip in the angle drive if the cable or speedo seizes and I dont know of any solution to that😞 If one end turns and the other doesnt I think not even worth taking apart and its straight to the black museum....

34 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Here are some Speedo Drives the dismantled one may not be Triumph the Cable drive connection end is a smaller diameter, but you can see the gearbox drive end, unfortunately the rack drive is still pinned in place 

The two left ones are Triumph but the middle one has a short square cable ie gearbox drive end I assume it's been cut short for some reason, but still works??

Remember Pete L warning to include a washer in the gearbox end or else you can lock it up and damage/break the unit, see my fibro washers

Hi Pete, can’t see the pics 

Paul

Sorry, Helps if I attach them?? Re stripped one you can just see the worm drive in the body, this unit was siezed due to dried out grease good job there was a query saved me damaging it in operation!!

Short Gearbox end Square drive stripped down.JPG

Angle Drives.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johny said:

4 hours ago, johny said:

Both metal gears then Peter? I wonder what it is that fails in them, the input drive bar becomes detatched?

I had an aftermarket one fail in this way, not uncommon apparently (though also I don't think it had the washer fitted?). There is some detailed info on the Net, on how to repair cheaply, though I cant remember which sites

An interesting thing from Peters photos is that the small screw on the side can only be for lubrication so I think a few drops of oil in there whenever the opportunity presents itself is a good idea...

UPDATE angle drive removed came out in 2 pieces . The coiled cable section went back in and the drive worked until pressure added and it slipped so found the problem . Canleys IMG_0934.thumb.jpeg.e5a2b42f37e6cf76292eecd9fc70fe6e.jpegsupplied the replacement without the 7/16 washer , made contact and Dave said it’s not required and no Triumphs came out of the factory with them . So what do I do fit the washer or leave out . Over to the experts to debate . Also the screw is for lubrication . Also found out why the Speedo cable seized , there were 2 sections when the plastic coating had been damaged allowing water ingress and resulting rust 

Paul 

If you really want to know if the washer is necessary Paul just stick something in the gearbox drive hole and measure how much goes in. Then compare how long that is with how much sticks out of your new angle drive - if what went in is shorter than what has to go in then you need a washer or you will load the angle drive as you do up its coupler. Otherwise you can just use a washer anyway as it wont do any harm🙂