Going 2.5 in mk2 vitesse

Puglet1

So.
Sat here thinking I would like a bit more power from my Vitesse.

Everyone says the best route to get more power in a Mk2 Vitesse is to go 2.5.

Question is…. Which 2.5 engine is required and how do I identify the engine by its number?

My current engine is really sweet so can it be converted to 2.5 and if so how?

Looking for approximately 150 BHP. Is this achievable and if so what additional ancillaries are required…eg carbs, exhaust etc?

I see a few people on here saying they have this type of conversion but another question is…..how much did it cost?

Any suggestions ?

Thank you.

Pete.

Pete,

That's what I have in SofS.    A 2.5 - actually 2.6.

Any 2.5 will do, if you work on it.    Saloon engine, and s need a Vitesse backplate as they were canted.    You could just use your 2L, with a 2.5crank, and rods, and camshaft, but the 2L sump needs relieving to clear the longer throw.  Tubular manifold, Pi fuelling, all possible, but I've now got 170bhp and the gearboxes won't stand it for long.

John

• Like 1

John.

That’s really helpful.

I am in no hurry to do this but it’s useful to know what components are needed just in case something comes up.

Thank you.

Pete.

You could just use your 2L, with a 2.5crank,

John are you sure this is possible??  As I understand it the extra 1/2 litre was gained by increasing the stroke not the bore, by adding an extra 12mm approx. to the top of the block, with the increased stroked crank, the same conrods were used on both capacities. My 2 litre when on T.D.C. the piston is flush with the top of the block. So if you fitted a 2.5 litre crank to a 2 litre block the piston would pop out of the block, or ram into the head if fitted. 

Mac  

I too converted my Vitesse to 2.5.It is a MK 1 so because the engine is breathed on considerably it ate a rear drive shaft on the 2012 RBRR in Cornwall.

I converted to the Jones/Bowler CV setup around 2013. It also has a big saloon O/D gearbox to handle the extra grunt, it made 172bhp on a rolling road when built.

Also a 3:27 diff for better cruising, around 2900 rpm @ 70mph in O/D top and a custom prop with 100m flanges and stronger U/J`s.

It started as an MG engine (MK 2 PI) and runs a TR5 cam and still on SU`s. MIke the Pipe  3-2-1 manifold and custom made exhaust by ex BTCC Matt Simpson race exhausts.

Steve

Edited by Steve P
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Firefly said:

You could just use your 2L, with a 2.5crank,

John are you sure this is possible??  As I understand it the extra 1/2 litre was gained by increasing the stroke not the bore, by adding an extra 12mm approx. to the top of the block, with the increased stroked crank, the same conrods were used on both capacities. My 2 litre when on T.D.C. the piston is flush with the top of the block. So if you fitted a 2.5 litre crank to a 2 litre block the piston would pop out of the block, or ram into the head if fitted. 

Mac  

The piston No.s are different. So the 2000 pistons are taller. (I have a 4Cyl where the 1500 has different pistons to the mk4 1300 though block almost identical)

• Like 1

Firefly is, of course, correct!    My point to the OP was that the block is the same.  It's what's bolted on that makes it a 2.5.   A 2.5 Vitesse or GT6 would have been real competition for the TR6, which is why Triumph never did it.

While the additional torque is significant, the stroked engine is not one to rev more than 6K for long, as then the  mean piston speed exceeds safety.

John

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

Think about maybe improving the engine you have? exhaust/ignition/induction/efi etc are all do-able fairly cheaply compared to building another engine

which nowadays is £££££ if you cannot build it yourself.

Depends what you want from the car and how you drive it.

S

• Like 1

Or on the other hand keep your 2 litre and change the camshaft, fit electronic ignition, sort the head out and plug on three Jenvey Heritage throttle bodies.

Complete control over mixture giving good economy and fuel when needed plus it would look great! I bet that setup would outrun a poorly setup carburettor 2.5.

Iain

Edited by Iain T
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve P said:

Think about maybe improving the engine you have? exhaust/ignition/induction/efi etc are all do-able fairly cheaply compared to building another engine

which nowadays is £££££ if you cannot build it yourself.

Depends what you want from the car and how you drive it.

Steve, you got there 10 seconds before me!

• Haha 1

ALL. Thank you very much for your contributions to this post.

I will now spend the next stage of my life doing the research to follow the options you’ve given me.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Puglet1 said:

will now spend the next stage of my life doing the research to follow the options you’ve given me

Also consider discrete fuel injection via a manifold and keep your Strombergs. Classic fuel injection in I think Chelmsford sells the system.

Iain

RE, above points on modifying a 2L.    A 2.5 cylinder head.    With the thinner 2L head and the longer stroke, your CR will be about 14.

But if your 2L had domed pistons, you can use the original head!   The domes allowed Triumph to use the same heads for 2L or  2.5L!

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am just building a new engine for my TR6 using a late triumph 2000 block. Both the TR6 (Vertically mounted) and Triumph 2000 (canted over) back plates seem the same with the same part number 211505. I believe the difference is just the front mountings on the saloons which are on the front moutning plate as apposed to being fitted on the side of the block in TR6, Vitesse, GT6.

Chris

Hi John,

I don't  think so. Both the saloon and tr5/6 use the same back plate. 

Not sure how it all works in a saloon but its not the backplate that is different

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/116034557941?gad_source=1&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338723872&toolid=20006&customid=3fAJc58eAAAA1MYOBQSqetzQoQpDAAAAAA

Chris

All,

These are two six cylinder back plates on a sheet of bright galvanised  steel.   On top is one from an upright mounted engine, Vitesse/GT6/TR6, beneath is one from a slant-mounted engine, a saloon.   I've aligned the two  plates so that the bolt holes to attach it to the engine are inline, the eight around the crank, and the four at the top. 

This shows very clearly that the bolt holes for the bell housing on  slant and upright engine plates are NOT the same, because those in this pair do not align.   Moreover, that the starter mounting holes are in different places. 

If you use a saloon engine in a Vitesse (or GT6) then you must use the original engine backplate, else your gear change lever will be a.t a very odd angle!

John

20240602_114738.jpg

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

Hi John,

OK I stand corrected. I must admit that I was going by part numbers and in several places the same backplate is listed for the tr6 and saloons. However I see that the vitesse and gt6 are listed with a different number. I have since carried out the same check as yourself with my collection of backplates with the same outcome. The vitesse backplate is not the same as the saloon one.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

Chris

• Like 1

Just looked at Canley's and Rimmers's and they list

TR5/6 and 2000/2.5 saloon 211505

GT6/ Vitesse  211514

I can't understand how they can quote the same part for the TR and saloons!  Has to be nonsense!

John

On 21/05/2024 at 23:05, Puglet1 said:

So.
Sat here thinking I would like a bit more power from my Vitesse.

Everyone says the best route to get more power in a Mk2 Vitesse is to go 2.5.

Question is…. Which 2.5 engine is required and how do I identify the engine by its number?

My current engine is really sweet so can it be converted to 2.5 and if so how?

Looking for approximately 150 BHP. Is this achievable and if so what additional ancillaries are required…eg carbs, exhaust etc?

I see a few people on here saying they have this type of conversion but another question is…..how much did it cost?

Any suggestions ?

Thank you.

Pete.

Are you sure youre getting every horse out of your existing set up Pete?