GT6 mk3 alternator mystery wire

Hello all,

In an effort to figure out the whine coming from the front of my engine and it potentially being the alternator I thought I would have a poke around.

In doing so I could see an unattached red wire starting to poke out of the black plastic cover on the back. Removed said cover and discovered this guy hanging loose. There appears to be the remanants of some solder on where the blue arrow indicates.

I imagine this guy is supposed to be attached somewhere so before I get the soldering iron out can anyone shed some light?

Cheers,

Matt

alternator.jpg

its built in radio suppressor  ( use of orange wire ) 

not much   use with VHF and DAB   but probably was connected to the rectifier output 

it wont affect the alternator output ,

pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

I think it is a lucas 16acr 'type' as I can't see any lucas branding anywhere.

Thanks Pete, I just found the exploded diagrams on the moss website for the 16acr and thought it might be that. I will leave it disconnected!

Matt

9 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi,
Is it not an avalanche diode and should it be connected for protection?

Cheers,
Iain.

Its true there is a protection diode in the WSM diagram (item D) or even the zener diode but neither go to earth as looks to be the case in the photo...Screenshot_2024-05-31-08-39-58-214.thumb.jpg.38c55cc9694d92dc6e7cb04cc4638bed.jpg

Item D is a diode to prevent reverse polarisation of the transistor T3 caused by the inductance of the field coil (7).  ZD is the zener diode that turns off T3 and so cuts the current to the field coil when the voltage becomes too high.  With the Lucas alternator, these components are within the alternator.  I would agree with Pete and it is to suppress radio frequency interference and if everything is working correctly, leave it as it is.

• Like 1

Hi all,
ZD & D are internal to the regulator.
RFI condenser if supplied is externally fitted.
The component shown in the picture needs to connect to the "IND"/D terminal. It is to help protect the alternator if the battery or cable comes loose.

Failure to connect will cause zero problems or gain anything. But, it can help protect the alternator under fault conditions.
I would connect it.
Cheers,
Iain.

1 hour ago, GrahamB said:

Item D is a diode to prevent reverse polarisation of the transistor T3 caused by the inductance of the field coil (7).  *****Snip

Hi,
To "prevent reverse polarisation of the transistor T3" would be better served by inverse connecting a diode across T3 E&C?
Cheers,
Iain.

10 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi,
Unable to post ACR manual as too big. Here is a 6 day link:

https://we.tl/t-o2BCf0BfcZ

It is very interesting. 
In an effort to figure out the whine coming from the front of my engine " is covered in the manual.
Cheers,
Iain.

Iain,

Many thanks, no idea why you couldn't upload the file, there isn't a size limit on the Forum for uploads

Lucas Manual A1-5.pdf

• Thanks 1