Mk2 Vitesse rear hub nut

I am just about to reassemble my rear hub after replacing the wheel bearing.

The nuts provided by one of the main Triumph parts companies are much longer than the originals that were originally fitted to the car. 
The nylon section on the original nuts worked perfectly but due to the new nuts extra length the nylon part doesn’t make contact with the thread.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Would it be safe to use the new nuts with thread lock on it?

Should I look for nuts the same length as the originals?

Are customers expected cut the new nuts down to the same length as the originals?

What would you do?

Pete

.IMG_6031.thumb.jpeg.910a1300a9be0cddb4d3955f1a9eb8bc.jpegIMG_6034.thumb.jpeg.95e47f126a34d441f62d89b350e512a7.jpeg

Edited by Puglet1
Spelling mistake.

Hi johny.

I can’t thread lock the old one as the previous owner had stripped it and the driveshaft. (Both have been replaced with new).

I’ve not used thread lock under these conditions before so am a bit dubious in doing so.

Anyway.  Let’s see what the rest of the crew come up with.

As always……. Thank you for your suggestion.👍

I experienced this problem too, years ago, before swapping to CV shafts ,that use a staked nut. The threads on the end of roto drive shaft were'nt fully formed to the end, so the nyloc would'nt grip properly. I also prefer to see a least two threads protruding on the outside of the nut - which would, if it were a halfnut as original. Canley Classics used to sell the correct half nuts- don't know if they still do? I seem to recall reading that Jaguar used same size nut on XK's???

I was supplied the self same incorrect nut by one of the 'usual' suppliers - was probably Caney as they are my go-to, but can't say for certain. I was able to re-use the original part, but added a touch of thread-lock for comfort. Lasted okay for a couple of years, but then I moved to CV shafts, so the reduced height / half-nut issue went away.

Gully

2 hours ago, trigolf said:

I experienced this problem too, years ago, before swapping to CV shafts ,that use a staked nut. The threads on the end of roto drive shaft were'nt fully formed to the end, so the nyloc would'nt grip properly. I also prefer to see a least two threads protruding on the outside of the nut - which would, if it were a halfnut as original. Canley Classics used to sell the correct half nuts- don't know if they still do? I seem to recall reading that Jaguar used same size nut on XK's???

Thanks trigolf that’s most helpful.

1 hour ago, Gully said:

I was supplied the self same incorrect nut by one of the 'usual' suppliers - was probably Caney as they are my go-to, but can't say for certain. I was able to re-use the original part, but added a touch of thread-lock for comfort. Lasted okay for a couple of years, but then I moved to CV shafts, so the reduced height / half-nut issue went away.

Gully

Unfortunately the thread on my old nut is kaput.

Thank you for your help.

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

Try Spalding Fasteners if same as MK1 ⅝UNF, that's where I buy from, always fast delivery sometimes less than twenty four hours from ordering.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul.

It looks like they are the same according to part number, I’ll call them 👍

Thank you.

Pete.

Hello again!

For future reference.

I ordered the original nuts from Canleys, the nuts were too long approximately 19mm in length- which I have since found out is the standard length of a full nut which is available from any fastener supplier. Needless to say, they were no good because the nyloc part of the nut didn’t contact the thread.

Next , ordered 5/8 half nut from Spalding fasteners- which arrived promptly (excellent service) but when measured were only 10mm in length so also not suitable.

Finally I contacted ANG who had the correct nuts in stock and also confirmed the length as 14.5mm prior to shipment.👍

So in summary, anyone else looking for the correct nut can save wasting time and money by sourcing them from ANG.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

• Like 1