Wanted

Hi all

I wondered if anyone's got a spare Air Hose Clamp, Part Number 151784 as detailed below, these are listed as no longer available and I need one.

Also, does anyone know what the internal diameter is of the two Air Hoses (616012) that feed the Air Filters on a Spitfire 1500 and Vitesse Mk2.

Thanks

Gary

Air Hose Clamp.jpg

151784 Air Hose Clamp to Radiator.pdf

Edited by Gary Flinn

Looks like (from the diagram) to be a length of steel strip, bent into shape to support the two hoses.   It's a U-section tomake it stiffer, which you could source by taking a length of square tube and cutting off one side.   But the U would make it hard to fabricate, unless you had tooling.  Would a length of flat strip be acceptable?

Not hard to make, form the semicircles around steel tube the size of the hose.   Possibly, making  two would be easier( longer ends as levers) and weld them together.

Why Triumph used two hoses is unknown, when even then it was standard knowledge that flow through a tube depends on the radius.  And not just the radius, the FOURTH POWER of the radius!   Double the radius and flow increases SIXTEEN times (RxRxRxR.  2^4 = 16)  Modding your filter box to take hose twice as big will make a big difference to air flow!

Good luck!

John

PS Triumph DID know!   See those two holes underneath the filter box?  Air intake for Wide Open Throttle time!  J.

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

I made my bracket out of Aluminum bar 3/4in wide and approx 1/8 thick, I profiled it to two semi circles to replicate the original and fit around the two flexi pipes. Will show photo tomorrow when it's daylight.

I had to replace the two flexi pipes as I'd thrown the old ones (all torn) away eons ago pre 74 when I shipped the car here & I couldn't get the right ID here in Aus nothing fitted think all the local flexi pipe was metric! Eventually found flexi pipe that fitted when picking up the wife's Jag from a service, the Jag guy supplied a Mk2 Jag internal heater duct pipe which was just right. The Trumpets on my Air Filter Box are 1.375in

Cold Air Inlet Bracket Installed.JPG

Cold Air Inlet Bracket - around 0.75in R, or 45 to 50mm Int Dia.JPG

Edited by Peter Truman
Photo's attached, and Trumpet Dims included
  • Like 2

The brackets do come up on ebay once in a while. I used fish tank hose for mine but it was slightly small. I believe the motorsport stockists do all sizes including the exact one for our cars...

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses, I will keep an eye out on E-Bay and if the worse comes to the worse I can probably make something or improvise with some other type of bracket.

Does anyone know what the internal diameter of the flexible ducting is though?

I haven't got the car yet (This Saturday all being well) so I suppose I can measure it then, at the moment no ducting is fitted and I know it helps with engine efficiency to get cold air in to the filters.

Cheers

Gary 

on the Vit6 we used 32mm waste pipe  cut /joined  to fit around the rad.

on my 2000 + SU  used 35mm   aquatic tube  its  strong and smooth inside 

a couple of large P clips nipped together would make a simple support 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis
  • Like 1

Well, as nobody has posted a pic of the original pipe clip, I thought I would! 

Internal diameter of pipe is 36mm,according to my cheapo vernier. That measurement tallies with o/d of airbox stubs. BTW. I don't believe Triumph commisioned a manufacturer to make the pipe. Many years ago,I found some redundant pipe left over from one of our airport navigation aids, which just happened to be an exact match for the knackered original pipe! 

Gav

20240712_115912.jpg

20240712_115808.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trigolf said:

Well, as nobody has posted a pic of the original pipe clip, I thought I would! 

Internal diameter of pipe is 36mm,according to my cheapo vernier. That measurement tallies with o/d of airbox stubs. BTW. I don't believe Triumph commisioned a manufacturer to make the pipe. Many years ago,I found some redundant pipe left over from one of our airport navigation aids, which just happened to be an exact match for the knackered original pipe! 

Gav

20240712_115912.jpg

20240712_115808.jpg

That's great thanks for posting and measuring.

It seems the standard sizes for the Aquatic type hoses suggested by some people is either 32mm or 38mm Inside diameter, so the 32mm is too small and the 38mm slightly to large.

Rimmer's and Paddocks list the correct hose so I will probably get it from one of those two suppliers.

can I ask what the length is of each pipe, I guess a 1 Metre Length will do both? 

Gary   

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

had to fire up an old desktop to get this 

here is the waste pipe version we constructed   many years ago 

air intake.jpg

Pete

I like the balancing tube at the front, I wonder if that helps increase the airflow?

Gary