Ignition timing

Carba1984

both my dial up strobes will if the HT pick up is not the right way round  can give some really daft readings 

the pickup has an arrow  on the underside .. not really useful

one is a smart chrome  Snap On the other is same but black unbranded 

Pete

Carba try the manual method as suggested: with the distributor loose and timing set at 10 BTDC start the engine and advance the distributor until you hear the engine revs increase to a maximum then back off the timing a little. This should give the best setting for the fuel youre using but check the setting with your strobe and let us know the reading....

12 minutes ago, johny said:

Carba try the manual method as suggested: with the distributor loose and timing set at 10 BTDC start the engine and advance the distributor until you hear the engine revs increase to a maximum then back off the timing a little. This should give the best setting for the fuel youre using but check the setting with your strobe and let us know the reading....

Currently I wear it like this, it is totally out of scale, 40 degrees more or less.

Taking it like this, I have the idle screws loose and the car is at more than 1000 rpm

38 minutes ago, Carba1984 said:

Is it possible that you have to adjust the mixture when you have varying degrees in the advance

No you don't have to change the mixture after adjusting the ignition timing.

• Thanks 1

I'm starting to think that my mechanic has installed the distribution wrong, there must be some problem, I've put it at 14 degrees and the car accelerates well but when you reach 4000 rpm it's like when it's poor in gasoline, in Spain we call it pulls  

• Sad 1

I've been doing tests tonight and I see that the car is not going well below 24 degrees, which is how I'm driving it right now. I'm going to start by rebuilding the carburetors and removing the air intakes from the butterfly axles, I see myself able to rebuild them except for the axle encasquilling

There was a car on here sometime ago Carba that had its valve timing incorrect and this seemed to affect its ignition timing so it needed more advanced than normal. It maybe worth checking yours which can be done by checking the valve positions with the rocker cover removed....

6 hours ago, johny said:

There was a car on here sometime ago Carba that had its valve timing incorrect and this seemed to affect its ignition timing so it needed more advanced than normal. It maybe worth checking yours which can be done by checking the valve positions with the rocker cover removed....

Could you guide me so I can check it?

set rockers 11 and 12(6 cylinder) 7&8 if 4 cylinder to a large gap  it doesn't matter what but they must be equal. Now turn the crank until no1 piston is top dead centre on compression stroke, now measure the gaps on 11 and 12 valves. They should have exactly the same gap (again the gap doesn't matter but should be equal) exhaust will be closing and inlet opening but if valve timing is correct the will be at the same lift (assuming a factory camshaft)

Edited by DanMi

7 minutes ago, johny said:

Wait a minute Dan this is a 4 cylinder and this is what the manual says:

yes I edited it to cover both as I originally had a 6 cylinder in mind but the principal is the same, I actually use 2 dial gauges

Edited by DanMi