Thank You Forum for all of your help

Eric Smith

Hi Guys - only the paperwork, a few extra bits and a MOT to go!

From Betty and me, thank you Forum Members for all of the knowledge, advice, thoughts and ideas.

I would like to present “Betty” a 1955 Standard 8 - the predecessor of all of your early Heralds, Spitfires, Vitesses and GT6s - she has had a lot of cosmetic surgery, a few enhancements and for a 69 year old, she don’t look too shabby!

Eric

IMG_0533.thumb.jpeg.59234c67c79627e43848d03f28395583.jpegIMG_0531.thumb.jpeg.c99cd8f7283d0fb12b69acb7aa7ae0c5.jpeg

• Like 8

Hi guys, thank you for your replies.

Betty was a very grotty black car when we got her, she was painted with some kind of industrial grade over painting, which was so hard it flaked and chipped when you worked on a body panel.

When I decided upon a paint scheme, my mind went back to 1973 when I paid £250 for car BEA98C. The number plate was attached to a Spitfire which had seen better days, but she had almost the same colour scheme, of white body work and a dark red hard top. A few years later I had a Toledo with cream paint - so with respect to my two previous Triumphs I went with the two tone colour scheme.

I have to be honest, the two tone scheme makes the car look a lot different to some of the mono tone schemes of the 1950’s - apparently the cars sold as Triumph 10s in the US and Canada did get more bling and I guess if you wanted them - two tone paint because I have seen photographs of American cars.

I know the colour scheme, alloys and other changes won’t suit the purists but I am the kind of bloke who would paint a Ferrari black or yellow.

Thanks Guys

Eric

Edited by Eric Smith
Typo

We did have a 10 a few years ago, next door neighbour was going to scrap it as he wanted the back axle for something else but the decided it was to good & sold it to me, done some welding & odd jobs & it went through its MOT no problem.

Used it as everyday car for a few months then sold to to a mate of my dads, he done some research & found out it was a ex BBC news car & was in the the background in lots of reports back in the day !

img100.thumb.jpg.ee3abc5fd38a33e5f1ac61cd175afa57.jpg  

12 hours ago, Eric Smith said:

Hi guys, thank you for your replies.

Betty was a very grotty black car when we got her, she was painted with some kind of industrial grade over painting, which was so hard it flaked and chipped when you worked on a body panel.

When I decided upon a paint scheme, my mind went back to 1973 when I paid £250 for car BEA98C. The number plate was attached to a Spitfire which had seen better days, but she had almost the same colour scheme, of white body work and a dark red hard top. A few years later I had a Toledo with cream paint - so with respect to my two previous Triumphs I went with the two tone colour scheme.

I have to be honest, the two tone scheme makes the car look a lot different to some of the mono tone schemes of the 1950’s - apparently the cars sold as Triumph 10s in the US and Canada did get more bling and I guess if you wanted them - two tone paint because I have seen photographs of American cars.

I know the colour scheme, alloys and other changes won’t suit the purists but I am the kind of bloke who would paint a Ferrari black or yellow.

Thanks Guys

Eric

Nothing wrong with a yellow Ferrari. Here's my daughter's godfather's Dino.    With my old Vitesse 6.

img027.jpg

13 hours ago, Qu1ckn1ck said:

.. how about blue ?

DSC00249.JPG

Love it. I'm still half-heartedly looking for one, not the right time at present but if the right one comes around I'll snap it up, but it must be the standard boring paint job and original wheels, or else easily returnable to drab originality.