Vitesse Mk2 - N.O.S. Silencer Queries

GFL

Hi All

I've currently got a set of the twin (Wheel Barrow) type Exhausts fitted to my Mk2 Vitesse.

However, they are too loud for me and also a bit too Boy Racer (In my Opinion), I just don't like them and never have.

So, I propose to fit a standard system and have recently acquired this N.O.S. Silencer off a good friend and fellow Vitesse owner.

A couple of Questions

1. I'm presuming the silencer is packed with some sort of Wadding (Fiberglass?) does anyone know if this is likely to have degraded?

2. I always thought they were painted Silver as standard (This one is black and definitely original, as I can see the "Stanpart" Logo on it and a a couple of numbers 1 & 70 which I assume are the Month and Year of Manufacture Jan 1970)

Anyone got a N.O.S. original Mk2 Silencer stashed away?

Regards 

Gary    

Stanpart Mk2 Vitesse Silencer.jpg

Silencer Date of Manufacture.jpg

9 minutes ago, johny said:

Dont think there'll be wadding just baffles and pipes with holes in. Spray with high temp silver if thats the colour you prefer👍

Johny

That's the plan, a rub down to bare metal then spray with High Temp Silver (It will probably come off though😔) can you recommend a decent HT Spray paint?

I've recently had my Wheels blasted and Powder coated but suspect it's not worth getting the Silencer done, as it that will probably come off too due to the heat? 

I may be getting mixed up with the packing, what I do know is the Silencer is really heavy!

I also need to get a new Manifold Gasket, a main pipe linking the silencer to the Manifold and a mounting/hanging kit.

I can remember my first Vitesse which was fitted with a standard system and Silencer, it had a nice Raspy note to it and wasn't too loud

I can't wait to get it fitted🙂

I'll advertise the  twin system when it's removed, I know they are still very popular.

Gary   

47 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

Hi All

I've currently got a set of the twin (Wheel Barrow) type Exhausts fitted to my Mk2 Vitesse.

However, they are too loud for me and also a bit too Boy Racer (In my Opinion), I just don't like them and never have.

If you cut the silencers open you will probably find that the wadding stuff was blown out the tail pipe years ago. A lot of the s/s wheel barrow silencers were actually made with mild steel baffles which rot out allowing the 'fluff' to exit quickstyle. Back in the day we used to cut them open, and repack them for customers. some of them were only a couple of years old!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

Johny

That's the plan, a rub down to bare metal then spray with High Temp Silver (It will probably come off though😔) can you recommend a decent HT Spray paint?

I've recently had my Wheels blasted and Powder coated but suspect it's not worth getting the Silencer done, as it that will probably come off too due to the heat? 

I may be getting mixed up with the packing, what I do know is the Silencer is really heavy!

I also need to get a new Manifold Gasket, a main pipe linking the silencer to the Manifold and a mounting/hanging kit.

I can remember my first Vitesse which was fitted with a standard system and Silencer, it had a nice Raspy note to it and wasn't too loud

I can't wait to get it fitted🙂

I'll advertise the  twin system when it's removed, I know they are still very popular.

Gary   

I used a light coat of ordinary aluminium silver spray paint on my exhaust manifold and it lasted a good time. Not sure Id rub that silencer down if the existing paint will provide a good key...

Ive got a mk2 standard stainless system on mine and often thought about adding a mk1 style mid box for more silencing....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thescrapman said:

A lot depends on the manufacturer.

Bell twin pipes tend to be VERY LOUD.

Phoenix ones less so.

I think the Moss ones were different again. And loud.

Shape of tailpipe end identifies supplier usually.

I've no idea the make of the Twin silencers on my car, a couple of photo's, any ideas?

I need to source a standard Stainless exhaust pipe, gasket and mounting kit before I can fit the new system

Gary     

Underside & Exhaust.jpeg

Rear view.jpg

14 minutes ago, trigolf said:

Hi Gary. Re exhaust silencer factory colour - my AA Book Of The Car from 1976 uses quite a few pics of a brand new Vit Mk2 CV for reference to basic components. Attached is pic of the factory fit silencer. 

20241001_110645.jpg

Trigolf

That's marvellous😊

I will have to find some Heat Resistant Black spray paint and re-paint it.

Every day is a learning day.

Thanks

Gary