Oil change

Robin

well the drain plugs worked well for 40+ years where's the problem,

if it been overtightend fit spanner on the square or hexagon slide foot under car , prefereably with leg attached and press the wrench 

with leg effort to slacken it off, 

they are generally a taper thread and really dont need to be wrenched up by a gorilla on  6 shreaded wheats 

medium hand pressure on the spanner is all thats needed to tighten

• Like 1

Robin, 

Pete is correct, finding the hole is the issue however small your tube!  Stick with the drain plug would be my advice, and if you can find a magnetic one then more is the better so you can worry every time you find something attached to it.

Dick

Robin, 

Pete is correct, finding the hole is the issue however small your tube!  Stick with the drain plug would be my advice, and if you can find a magnetic one then more is the better so you can worry every time you find something attached to it.

Dick

Think I agree Dick. Thanks

Just did an oil change on my Vitesse Mk2 and used the cardboard fix and it worked fine - Also replaced the sump plug with one from Canleys - the plug has a 15/16th AF Nut and complete with magnet - Next oil change will be easier 

post-1431-0-62070700-1464507322_thumb.jpg

Spent yesterday afternoon helping Son-in-law trying to do an oil change on his C-max. 13mm socket could only be got on the sump bolt at an angle and kept slipping off. spanner ditto. Mole grips, no chance. Head of bolt pretty much rounded off.

Plan B, hammer on a 12mm socket but, no room to swing a hammer.

Plan C, drink beer and think about it. Phoned Halfords where we bought the oil and filter, would they do it? "Ho! Ho! Another one!" Bring it down, we'll crack it off and you can take it away"

This is what happens when you have garages do oil changes. Doing bolts up with compressed air means they will only come off with compressed air!