Fuel gauge reading

Kevin.payne.15

Hi there. Does anyone know if there is a resistance difference between a fuel gauge sender from a mk 2 to a mk3 gt6

I have a mk3 and unfortunately ran out of fuel the other day with the gauge reading just under 1/4 full.

Getting it home I put 2 gallons in the tank to represent just under 1/4 full, I thought I would simply bend the arm until the gauge read 1/4

Plan was brilliant however when I took a peep at the sender it's a mk2 one. Taking it out of the tank a second time post calibration to test it at the extremes then even with the float fully up (representing a full tank) then the max the gauge reads is 3/4 full at very best

So before I swap out the sender unit does anyone know is the mk2 sender is compatible with a mk3 gauge and if there are any tests I need to do before swapping the sender unit out presuming this is in error

Thanks

Kevin

Pete

Thanks for this. Where do I find it and what does it look like. If I put a digital meter on it will it smooth sufficiently to get a decent reading?

Looks like the mk 3 petrol comes out the top and then runs round a rubber pipe to the boot floor so I'll need to close up the bottom outlet on my tank - is this a bolt job or welding torch?

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin here is a picture from Canley Classics. The voltage stabiliser bolts on the back of the speedo and is part number 148876. A modern meter will give you a decent reading.  I have fitted a modern electronic stabiliser and it works very well.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-gt6-mkiii-facia-instruments-and-switches

The fuel comes out the mk3 petrol tank at the bottom, if you've taken out the sender unit you can see the hole. Why do you need to close the outlet? Please don't put a welding torch anywhere near the fuel tank. :o

I think Kevin is looking at the breather pipe which connects to the sender unit in the parts diagram. My sender unit doesn't have this breather port - I suspect this is missing from 'modern' replacements.

Gully

That's very odd Kevin, I've got a late mk3 (February 73) and it has this:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-215468

Rimmers say this is pre KE20000 but my car is well after that.  I've had it nearly 40 years and it's never had a new tank or sender. Could Rimmers have made a mistake? Or were Triumph  using up old stock at the end of production?

I see according to Rimmers the fuel tank references are different between early and late GT6s, but my parts catalogue indicates it's not an early / late issue, but Germany v the rest of Europe (US is different again). All done to confuse!

Anyway, after all this my early GT6 has the right tank and sender, yet still never reads below 1/4 full! Voltage stabiliser is fine too. Reads perfect accurately from full down to 1/4, then stays there. If you lift the sender out, it still reads 1/4! Must try a replacement one day, but I know when it gets to 1/4 I have 50 miles left...

Gully