Horn sounds when turning

JohnD

All,

I'm sure that this problem has been discussed here, but I cannot find it.   So has anyone any advice, please?

Classicliffe mentioned in one thread that if the steering wheel hub contacts the shroud that surrounds the column, that could earth the circuit and sound them, but I cannot reproduce this by purposely putting a jumper lead across them.   Nor does turning the wheel when stationary  sound the horns.

Any other ideas, tests etc, that could help me find the fault?    I take out the "HORN TOP SPRING CONNECTOR" Pt No.142534  to disable the horns as otherwise it's so embarassing, but as we are off to Le Mans soon, I'd like to have them in use.

Thanks,

John

Sorted, I think.

I returned today to look at the problem, and now the horn sounds as soon as the ignition goes on.

Tried a rubber disc, to insulate between the wheel boss and thre switch shroud.     No effect.

I have a Mountney wheel, with a horn button in the middle.     Can't remember when or why, but I had modified it by adding a contact disc to the back of the button assembly, I think because the horn top spring contact didn't reach the boss, and then a piece of spring steel to contact the column nut.  Again, can't remember why!    But eventually worked out that of course the b******y steel spring shorts the circuit all the b*****y time, so the horn was doing the same.

Removed the spring steel contact and normal service is resumed!

The wheel boss was touching the shroud, causing intermittent sounding which the rubber disc sorts out,  and my ill-advised spring steel jobbie was making it sound all the time.

Test drive needed, but it's been sleeting rain.

Tomorrow.

Thanks for advice!

John

Hi John

Had exactly the same problem when I changed my wheel all I did to resolve the issue was to loosen the collapsible steering joint and pull the wheel up couple of MM. to give clearance between the wheel boss and the column no more problems. Let me know your thoughts as would be interested

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

The collapsing joint indeed limits up/down wheel movement if correctly adjusted.

But my horn sounding on corners was down to the boss touching the column shroud, the covers all the wiring to the light/trafficator levers.

A rubber disc, just larger than the boss/shroud diameter has cured that.     I just wonder if worn column bushes are allowing more side-to-side movement than there should be, but it's sorted for now!

John

Hello John.

I have attached some photos which may or may not assist and these accompanied an article I wrote for a classic car club magazine.

The steering wheel in the picture has a centre horn push and the original Vitesse horn contacts could not be used; hence I modified the set-up. The horn is much louder as well now, but that was probably down to the original contacts having carbon deposits / wear on it / them. 

The modification was done about 2x years ago and still going strong.

Regards.

Richard.

post-818-0-52812000-1467892670_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-64631500-1467892706_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-67046800-1467892729_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-37636900-1467892758_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-40599200-1467892792_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-70102800-1467892812_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-77703300-1467892838_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-95816800-1467892864_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-46800100-1467892888_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-96500100-1467892907_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-74416100-1467892932_thumb.jpg

If I bought an expensive steering wheel boss for a Triumph (specify model) I would expect it to work properly with the usual equipment.

I have modified a few cheapo steering wheel horn systems in the past, and fitting a dashboard button is the mark of a bodger.

C.

I could be offended if I was a wood turner, or the solution was done quickly/carelessly/without thought (definitions).

Ten years ago the pencils were a recurring failure on the old forum, hopefully solved now the Club shop sells them; the correct sort of button seems to be a preferred solution among the Revival/Classic cars which are also road legal. In my case the horn push is only used twice a year (check and the MOT) as I much prefer hands on the wheel and driving technique a better solution to issues.

The classic (sic) bodge was the Herald at Leatherhead being much admired which had 6 Scotchblocks in the engine bay and clearly not of a temporary nature. 

No response expected or required.