New rebored engine... GT6

petegardner_901

Hi all

Any thoughts on this:

I have just picked up my rebored block and reground crank.

I have new pistons, end shells etc etc all ready for the rebuild.

Thing is, I won't be running the engine for a while as there are a load of other things to do to the car first.

Is it best to leave the rebuild until shortly before the first start up or is it ok to rebuild it and leave it in the corner of the garage - just wondering about lubrication draining away over time from areas like cam followers, shells.

Thanks

P

A built up engine should be corrosion- and dust etc accumulation-proof when a bare block isn't. Cam lube is very sticky, and Graphogen on bearings will not fall out. Get done now, paint the block,seal all ports etc with paper balls/tape, spray with wd40, wrap it up and put it away safe.

John

On a slightly different note, if you have new pistons then they're probably made by County. This piston themselves are fine, but the rings not so in my experience.

I use a guy locally, I have bought 2 sets of pistons from him recently and he swapped out the rings for a NOS set of Hepolites on one and the other he supplied a set that he has manufactured.

Up to you of course....

Really - most have the opposite opinion, on 2.5 pistons/rings anyway

http://www.wishboneclassics.com/tech/tr6/engine/triumph-tr6-cast-piston-comparison

What is your objection to the County rings?

Nick

Hi Nick,

From my own experience. My current engine is suffering from excessive crankcase pressure and compression is down on a couple of cylinders, this on an engine that has done around 10k miles since a rebuild using County Pistons & rings.

I am in the process of rebuilding my spare engine so was trying to find some NOS Pistons. After trying to find alternatives to County I came across a few mentions on other forums questioning their quality. After trying just about everywhere for some NOS Pistons and failing, I went back to where I normally get engine parts (GBH Spares - Holsworthy) and in conversation he volunteered that when he sells County Pistons he swaps their rings for sets he has made because of known quality issues.

I may have just been unlucky and I'm sure there are plenty of engines out there happily running with County Pistons & rings, but my personal choice is to avoid them.

Interesting... yes the pistons I have are County pistons and on the box it says "Made in Malaysia" AND on another sticker on the same box "Made in USA".

I pointed this out to the guy who did the rebore and he told me the pistons are made in Malaysia and the rings in USA...

On another note - anyone comment on this - When stripping the engine I noticed there were no locking washers on any of the main bearing or big end bearing caps. The workshop manuals all seem to think there are.

I assume it's ok to put a drop of thread lock on them and tighten down without tab washers?