Brake Bleeders

68vitesse

I've never used a shop bought brake bleeding system. 2 feet of transparent plastic hose and a ring spanner on the bleed nipple, ensure hose is a tight fit on the nipple. Other end of hose into a jam jar. Rapidly pump the brake pedal 3 or 4 times, quickly close the bleed nipple, before the fluid runs out the hose. Top up master cylinder, move on to next nipple. It rarely happens to me, but if brakes are spongy after 4th nipple, go round again.

I guess a shop bought system would be useful if you can't move too quickly, which may be coming to me sooner than I think! :huh:

Recently I was struggling with an Esibleed.   "One-man", yes, but using a long stick to press the pedal from each corner wasn't working.

I asked the same Q, here(?) and elsewhere.

Others experience of the pressure systems (Eg Sealey VS820)  was that it doesn't have a safe cap for the master cylinder.   It comes with a modern, narrow cap (50mm?? from memory) and a strap on cap for other sizes.   Spills are a constant risk.

Of vacuum systems (Eg Sealey VS402) that they leak where the hose is pushed onto the bleed nipple, making detection of bubbles difficult.

After a days rest, I went back to the Esibleed and long stick, and got it to bleed out all the bubbles.  

Sorted!

An aid was to cut a length of plastic tube from some plumbing, jam it on the end of the stick with a Vee cut in the end.

This engages with the lever of the pedal, rather than the pedal itself, so the stick end doesn't slip off, or doesn't as much as it did!

Also, I had completely drained my brakes, and leaving them 24 hours after first attempt allowed the bubbles to collect and merge, so they were very easy to purge out the second time.

Several goes with a rest for you and the system seem to work!

John

PS the Esibleed is just the same as the jamjar method, except with the addition of a simple one-way valve on the end of the tube.    It cleverly gets around the problem of the end of the tube curling up out of the fluid in the jamjar!   

ive got in the dust a Mityvac pump to  vacuum, and a ford derived electric pressure pumped bleeder

by the time you get it all together a length of tube and a pedal assistant works so much easier

one tip keep the tube and jar high above the nipple

in on production we had a evacuate and fill which was  utopia take it to zero HG  then with no leak detected  it self filled to the reservoir level 

never failed but not so easy to DIY.

to make a ezibleed just plug the tube and add a 25mm slit witha sharp blade and you have the simplest  one way valve.

I have always been a down quick   .,, back slow  

this   forces the stuck bubbles out  and back slow lets the recuperation take place rather than air sucked back from a nipple ...read what you like into that,  whatever your mind is thinking   

Pete

Used the Gunson Eezibleed system. It worked well on The TR7 with the smaller master cylinder cap. On the Vitesse, Herald and Spit with the bigger cap leaks where a problem. I got fed up setting the thing up and went back to getting the wife pumping the pedal. 

Just ensure you close the bleed nipple before raising the pedal from the last down stroke, with or without a one way valve, as bleed nipple screw threads can sometimes let air back into the system. I guess we all have our own ways of doing stuff, this way works for me.

Dave 

That's a valid point about the bleed nipple threads allowing air bubbles in, I tried one of the vacuum kits off ebay and that was the bugbear. Had to run silicone grease around the outside to seal it. ( don't like using the word "Vaseline", it invites comments...) Ended up using the good old Europat Vizibleed one-way valve, a couple of quid, again off ebay. Vacuum a good idea in principle but a right parp.

I've tried almost every method under the sun, my Eezibleed is gathering dust in the box after exploding all over the bulkhead; the other push pull blow vacuum thingies that I've bought over the years have been ditched in favour of the simple tube with the split in it and the glass jar. 

Jam jar, plastic tube, wife on the pedals, and "down" and "back" bellowed from below work for me.

Like Colin, my Easibleed blasted fluid all over the bulkhead (fortunately DOT 5 Silicone variety) and did not come with a cap to fit a Vitesse master cylinder. It has sat on a shelf ever since. The older I get, the more I believe that the simplest solution to an engineering question is often the right one. (As in bog-basic SU carbs over EFI for example!)

Steve C

Ah, but having the memsahib actively involved gives her a stake in the whole business, which means an easier task for me the next time I have to negotiate for funds when the damn thing has thrown its toys out of the pram and requires urgent expenditure at Rimmers or Canleys!

Steve C