Herald Convertible Front Seat Belts

andyjwill

ring garth in club shop  to get these correct but brochure shows 

https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/inertia-belt-hervitbond-conv-51430

as these have no shoulder moutings 

and with the ride of these cars sometimes static are better , inertia can with a choppy ride get tighter and tighter   over the shoulder 

its down to preference.  

Pete

I fitted inertia to my 13/60 convertible, unfortunately I can't be certain about the make but it is one of the main companies the exact part number is SBS500/30, well I am almost certain. They came with quite a range of bits to help fitting, however they were tricky to mount in the correct position so the belt would move freely. Once done they work fine, they do block from time to time but so do those on my modern.

Make sure you do get once where the mechanism is designed to work in any position and not just vertical. Mine are roughly 90° to vertical in the hood well.

Before you ask they don't seem to interfere with the hood & the hood doesn't interfere with them.

I bought some Securon statics for my soft top as the inertias did work but after sometime of use started to get stuck a little too often. As Chris says when mounted on the rear wheel arch they don't interfere with the hood at all. Sorry to say the other issue I had was having to add the extenders to the seat belts as either the car has shrunk or Ive put on some serious weight.....................Nah !  must be the car   :rolleyes:  Who mentioned tub spread

With my seat pushed back to the right place for my legs and the pedals, I couldn't reach the ignition switch while wearing a static belt! So it had to be inertia reels. I'm not a particularly odd body shape :lol:

(Pete Lewis, insert your joke here)

Worth a thought and a sit in the car to check it out.

The problem with the Securon statics is they are a part that fits a multitude of cars, the Herald and Vitesse original belts were obviously made to Triumphs specification and were considerably longer than those supplied by Securon. Securon do sell an extension belt, but for a reason that still I can't fathom they have decided to only offer them in red so you have a bit of red belt showing through the quarter panel and a black belt bolted to it. I have fitted inertias to mine and put a shoulder mount at the top of the B pillar, but to strengthen that area I have fabricated a metal strut that goes back to the original mounting on the wheel arch to take the load and stop the shoulder mount from pulling through. You could I suppose fit a thick spreader plate, but getting that formed to fit the inside of the B pillar is more trouble than making a strut.