Inlet manifold adaptor?

Adrian

Before I crumple into a gibbering wreck I got a contact number for Ian from Angie at HQ.  I believe he is quite difficult to get hold of.  Has anyone had any contact with him recently - I can't see any reason why the details should be wrong as his wife is a member but it just rings out, no answerphone or anything !

Hi Chaps

I am most definitely out of my depth here with both confidence and skill - I hit rocks with hammers not manifolds, my 'O' Level metal work 35 years ago didn't cover this! I have to find someone to do it for me - if I fail to get Ian on the job are there are any willing volunteers? I can bring the biscuits!

I've had a bit of a dig around - non-destructive of course. I can see a coarse thread standing slightly proud of the manifold at the sheared banjo end - is this the banjo bolt thread or is there a sleeve? It may be clear if I had a replacement but haven't got one yet.

Secondly does anyone have a spec / part number for the inlet hose connector - it seems the mk1 and 2 had a sensible nut included in it. Pt 138810 at canleys. But there doesn't seem to be any info in the usual places for the mk3.

I got a leaflet from a local restoration garage who said they'd have a look - but I don't think you can beat the confidence you get from a recommended engineer.

Cheers

I had a similar situation a while ago (I think "while" could be 10 years ago) with a 2000 manifold.  Chris Witor sorted it out for a very reasonable price and it came back better than new.  I seem to remember he worked in conjunction with a machine shop.  If you are struggling it is worth giving him a call.  He does answer the phone.

OK - by way of update and hopefully conclusion.

1. Thanks for all of the advice - much appreciated.

2. Paul -Thanks for the offer of the manifold, hopefully won't need it but at least I know you have it.

3. Same with Colins offer.

4. I have spoken with Chris Witor. He said I had a rarer manifold with a cast inlet tube and to get it drilled out and install a 3/8 BSP thread to accommodate one of his stainless steel adaptors (I think it is the same as Pt 138810).

Hopefully it will be a straight install once the seized parts are out!

Thanks as always

Hello Adrian.

Well that sounds like good news.

Re: I have spoken with Chris Witor. He said I had a rarer manifold with a cast inlet tube  

​Am I right in thinking that the manifold you currently have may not be the correct item for your 1972 GT6, or was it an option to fit one of these instead etc. ????

Just out of curiosity really.

Thanks.

Richard.

I am here!

Ian Gittings is a top bloke. Proper engineer, makes (or made) the hub pullers and other such stuff sold by the club, also manifolds etc. 

Probably a lot less grief to let him sort it out, and it will be a proper job.

Could this be the same Ian who was an ace Manx Grand Prix motorcycle racer.on Ducati's ,if my memory serves me correctly

Richard, Doug

The reference to rarer was Chris's words. Irrespective the fix is simple which is a great relief. Doug perhaps one too many pangalacticgargleblasters but couldn't find a direct replacement, now obvious as it was intergalactic to the casting.

Richard the manifold certainly looks like the mk3 one on canleys website. Seems silly having an integral part susceptible to corrosion, but I suppose the didn't envisage them lasting this long.

Adrian

The Vitesse 1600, Mk1 2 Litre Vitesse and Mk1 GT6 inlet manifold has longer pipes, due to the shorter head on the earlier engine, than the Mk2 and Mk3 inlet manifolds. The Vitesse accelerator cable bracket tapped hole is not present on the GT6 inlet manifold. If you are after GT6 Mk3 inlet manifold ensure it has the central tapped holes to take the accelerator cable mechanism.

Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Chaps

I did say I'd update you on the refurbished manifold once I got it back from Ian. Attached are the pic of the full refurb.

Including - drill out old steel tube and replace with SS 

Remove old banjo bolt and retap (Chris Witor SS bolt bought 

Bead blasted and blasted through

All faces ground flat - slight warp, particularly notable on block face

Moulding flash removed

all threads cleaned and re-tapped

New brass banjo

Now only got to sort the engine - famous last words!

Cheers

post-1605-0-95577500-1500389805_thumb.jpgpost-1605-0-85049600-1500389810_thumb.jpg

• Like 1