Carb issues Vitesse Mk2 with CDSE carbs

Paul H

Ive reconditioned AC Fuel Pump , new diaphram, valves , New Accuspark Dizzy , Coil, Smiths emission control valve cleaned out - The diaphram has started to crack but not all the way through so just ordered replacement .The temperature compensators fitted to CDSE are blocked off ( Thanks Pete ) The Carbs had worked fine before so happy that CDSE's are suitable though not ideal - needles are B5CF

Had initial issues starting , stripped the carbs and found slivers of the dreaded black stuff ( R9) in both the needle valve entries 

Reassembled carbs, needle valves checked , Clear tubing now replaces small 2" sections of R9 (no more slivers as petrol filter in place by the carbs) Carb floats checked at 18mm , Pistons raise and drop as they should. Added a clear tubing balancer - I had previously just blocked these ports with tubing with bolt inset ( see pic )

Engine started after fuel got through though not healthy. With Choke engine revs went initially high then started to waver then high again as if there was a block somewhere . Engine heated up and pushed in choke and engine revs wavering . 

Then noticed rear carb leaking like a sieve - this normally means blocked needle valve - I know I have to strip and check though is there something im missing ?????? The pic clearly shows fuel leaking through gasket 

Paul 

post-1431-0-28640700-1500214359_thumb.jpg

I'd suspect it's more slivers of rubber. I have no idea where they hide but I've had to drop the float bowls off two or three times after "fixing" the source before now. I've reached the stage where I'm paranoid about touching any of the pipework around the carbs! Where did you source the clear fuel hose BTW? I've yet to find any that is ethanol proof.

Wayne 

Hi Wayne - you are correct - removed rear carb and needle valve - blew out another black sliver - see pic - Ill repeat the process on the front carb just in case and replace both needle valves as i have spares . Thanks for input 

Paul 

post-1431-0-89268700-1500222849_thumb.jpg

not keen on those float gaskets there's a lot showing outside,  but there are a whole range of gaskets which all look about right but some dont cover the corners properly , there are changes as the carbs evolved over the years 

you may just have the wrong gasket

many kits now come with about 5 gaskets to cover the years ,

doesnt  help with not starting but may solve your leak  

take bowl off   again!! and lay gasket on to see it matches all way round especially the corners 

Pete

Glad you got it sorted Paul. I got very adept at dropping the float bowls off at the side of the road whilst chasing the remaining slivers around the system. I always found the proximity of the hot exhaust manifold to a float bowl brimming with petrol in my hand particularly nerve wracking!

Wayne 

not keen on those float gaskets there's a lot showing outside,  but there are a whole range of gaskets which all look about right but some dont cover the corners properly , there are changes as the carbs evolved over the years 

you may just have the wrong gasket

many kits now come with about 5 gaskets to cover the years ,

doesnt  help with not starting but may solve your leak  

take bowl off   again!! and lay gasket on to see it matches all way round especially the corners 

Pete

Hi pete. Gaskets supplied by turners

Spare gaskets are the same and leak as soon as gasket level is reached. Could i use welseal on the gaskets or instead of

Paul

if its leaking from the gasket face then its either  the wrong gasket for the generation of your carb or theres a crack or face problem with the body or the bowl surfaces 

if you look at the bowl there is a small sealing rib all around the gasket face to make sure it seals by design

my guess you have the wrong shaped gasket 

sealers wont really work and will soon start to give up and leak

lay the gasket on the bowl......   look for the cock up........ bet one corner is lettting fresh air in and petrol ...out 

if you fancy a trip to Sunny Luton with them i can soon locate and fix your leak  its not rocket science 

let me know 

Pete

Like what Pete says, There an awful lot of gasket variations and they are not straight away obvious when you put them on. Why did they do this?!!  Only Big G knows.

I to have never had a sliver problem. My pipes have rounded ends and one rubber pipe between pump and carbs! 

Yes dave, good idea,

its still my experience tells me the gasket does not match the shape of the bowl face

its a common problem thats why most kits contain many gaskets all slightly different

you have to be careful at selecting the correct one. I have never come across a 'universal' bowl gasket

Pete

if its leaking from the gasket face then its either  the wrong gasket for the generation of your carb or theres a crack or face problem with the body or the bowl surfaces 

if you look at the bowl there is a small sealing rib all around the gasket face to make sure it seals by design

my guess you have the wrong shaped gasket 

sealers wont really work and will soon start to give up and leak

lay the gasket on the bowl......   look for the cock up........ bet one corner is lettting fresh air in and petrol ...out 

if you fancy a trip to Sunny Luton with them i can soon locate and fix your leak  its not rocket science 

let me know 

Pete

Hi Pete , heres a pic of the gasket in position , It covers all areas so no corners missing - Is it the correct one ?? 

Paul 

post-1431-0-02946600-1500289254_thumb.jpg

thats looking ok ,  whats ite bowl fit like , i dont see great markings to show the bowl fits the gasket

these are two flat surfaces apart from the small raised rib to aid sealing, and if its leaking somewhere something doest fit or is distorted

lay the gasket on the bowl see it it matches 

while the car is off fill with petrol and look carefully to see where its letting it out , petrol does creep and can

leak 'here' and drip 'there'

something is obviously amiss  , at least you have the floats the  right  way up for the double armed float.

they look a bit on the low  side  ( high fuel level)   18mm from deck to float is normal

pete

Hi Pete , heres a pic of the gasket in position , It covers all areas so no corners missing - Is it the correct one ?? 

Paul 

Hi Pete , just changed the needle valves and noticed the ones I took off were marked 1.75 and the spares purchased are marked 1.5 . At first glance they are the same though the orifice on the 1.75 is larger - Will this make a difference 

Paul 

post-1431-0-12286600-1500292250_thumb.jpg

thats looking ok ,  whats ite bowl fit like , i dont see great markings to show the bowl fits the gasket

these are two flat surfaces apart from the small raised rib to aid sealing, and if its leaking somewhere something doest fit or is distorted

lay the gasket on the bowl see it it matches 

while the car is off fill with petrol and look carefully to see where its letting it out , petrol does creep and can

leak 'here' and drip 'there'

something is obviously amiss  , at least you have the floats the  right  way up for the double armed float.

they look a bit on the low  side  ( high fuel level)   18mm from deck to float is normal

pete

Hi Pete , the raised groove all the way round is very low on the petrol bowl - Just stripped out the CD150's I have for rebuild and the groove is very noticeable - As the CDSE are refurbed the groove has been ground down with the cleaning process - does this make sense 

Paul 

yes the rib is quite important sealing back up , who refurbed these things ???

1.75  its the diameter of the seating, but i would expect the float to work it its same set up and float on a CD175 which uses bigger ones  

and whatever the fuel should never leak from the gasket zone only up the jet or out the breather port in the front face

Im now beginning to doubt the grey matter,  about twin arm floats..... which way up, everywhere you look its got the two chances

rivet plate on top or under  this seriously alters the fueling levels and valve  reliability

from memory the float sits in the fuel at an angle, ie what looks right ...... is wrong   so turn it over  !!!

having searched around through all my manuals and online  this delicate bit of information seems very mixed

later spec stroms have a float level of 16-17mm   but as for which way the answers seem 50/50   

GRRRrrrrrrrr   !!!

Pete

yes the rib is quite important sealing back up , who refurbed these things ???

1.75  its the diameter of the seating, but i would expect the float to work it its same set up and float on a CD175 which uses bigger ones  

and whatever the fuel should never leak from the gasket zone only up the jet or out the breather port in the front face

Hi Pete - dry fitted the carbs and there 2 areas which dont fit flush  - ie I can slide in a feeler gauge all the way through . rear carb area where i know it has leaked in the past is 4thou and the area in front has a 2 thou gap - Next is to dry fit with the cd150 bowl ( with a higher ridge ) and measure for gaps .

Turner Carbs refurbed these CDSE's 

Paul 

post-1431-0-73188100-1500296182_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-90417600-1500296184_thumb.jpg

just make sure the other bowls have the same face contour ,, if older they can be different...back to the gasket scenario

two gaskets might just solve the leak  

been over fettled ,  you have just found what Ive come across ,  they look pretty but "££$%^&  the rest can be a bit variable 

not cheap and not so good .

Pete

just make sure the other bowls have the same face contour ,, if older they can be different...back to the gasket scenario

two gaskets might just solve the leak  

been over fettled ,  you have just found what Ive come across ,  they look pretty but "££$%^&  the rest can be a bit variable 

not cheap and not so good .

Pete

Hi Pete , you are correct as usual !! The bowls are different shapes so looks like a double gasket + turning over the floats and setting to 16 - 17 mm

Paul