Carb issues Vitesse Mk2 with CDSE carbs

Paul H

dosnt pay to loose sleep...on reflection   but i reckon  your last pic has them the right way up  

Pete

That makes sense as thats how they were fitted so I marked them T for top , at least Turners got that right 

Paul 

Im now beginning to doubt the grey matter,  about twin arm floats..... which way up, everywhere you look its got the two chances

rivet plate on top or under  this seriously alters the fueling levels and valve  reliability

from memory the float sits in the fuel at an angle, ie what looks right ...... is wrong   so turn it over  !!!

having searched around through all my manuals and online  this delicate bit of information seems very mixed

later spec stroms have a float level of 16-17mm   but as for which way the answers seem 50/50   

GRRRrrrrrrrr   !!!

Pete

Hi Pete - Ive reset the float level , see pic , just checking ive done this correct - I placed a steel rule on top of the float and measured from the ruler underside to the carb base and current measurement says 16.66mm 

When I bought my Vitesse the carbs were CDSE though not set up for Vitesse and were totally shot - Throttle spindles totally knackered - Just salvaged the float bowls which are a better fit + have a more pronounced raised rim all the way round - I guess I will have to get used to the fact they are not shiny !!!!

Paul 

post-1431-0-83524300-1500308075_thumb.jpg

Progress , engine is running though a little lumpy while getting hot , choke out and it's fine and running at 2000 revs , start putting in the choke too soon and rear carb "farts" and fuel mist comes out of intake ( no filters on yet ) . What does this mean ?

Apologies for the description

Paul

sounds like its far too lean  ,, wind the jet down alt least two full turns from level with the top of the holder

Thanks Pete , you were right, ticking over now with no choke now at 1000 revs , flick accelerator and no 'coughing' .

Best regards

Paul

do i get a badge or house point 

where's them slippers ,       its pouring again and we should be at Revs and Rythms having a bop or whatever  with a curry or F &C  but its not looking  good right now

wet grass ,  wet shoes , wheres the tractor  ???

Pete

I think green shield stamps would be in order , if I had any

On another note , a neighbour heard the vitesse running and came across and mentioned he has a 1969 spitfire ( MK 3 ?? ) in his garage , been there for 5 years and it needs to be moved and probably for sale . I volunteered to help him to get it started , I think I've learnt quite a lot over the last year so should be able to assist. Currently the battery is on charge in my garage and looking to start the spitfire next weekend . The spitfire belongs to the neighbour's daughter who lives in New Zealand and the garage space is now required

My list follows and not in any order, and some checks might not be necessary ie carb strip down

Check plugs, clean and gap

Remove air filters ensure pistons rise and fall , check diaphragm , remove float bowl, check needle valve , check float for holes, check damper oil level

Check , clean distributor , rotor arm, points, plug leads

Once engine has turned over, ensure there is a spark , ensure fuel is being delivered. Use carb start with the piston raised .

The car was driven in so basic setup should be ok

Have I missed anything ?

If the spit is for sale , is anybody looking for a project ?

Regards

Paul

I think green shield stamps would be in order , if I had any

On another note , a neighbour heard the vitesse running and came across and mentioned he has a 1969 spitfire ( MK 3 ?? ) in his garage , been there for 5 years and it needs to be moved and probably for sale . I volunteered to help him to get it started , I think I've learnt quite a lot over the last year so should be able to assist. Currently the battery is on charge in my garage and looking to start the spitfire next weekend . The spitfire belongs to the neighbour's daughter who lives in New Zealand and the garage space is now required

My list follows and not in any order, and some checks might not be necessary ie carb strip down

Check plugs, clean and gap

Remove air filters ensure pistons rise and fall , check diaphragm , remove float bowl, check needle valve , check float for holes, check damper oil level

Check , clean distributor , rotor arm, points, plug leads

Once engine has turned over, ensure there is a spark , ensure fuel is being delivered. Use carb start with the piston raised .have some fresh petrol available

The car was driven in so basic setup should be ok

Have I missed anything ?

If the spit is for sale , is anybody looking for a project ?

Regards

Paul

The fuel in the tank may not be viable, modern fuel isn't the same as good old 5 star. I've heard of people unable to start after winter lay off. Having said that we managed to get a Vitesse with 18 month old fuel started recently. Similarly the oil might not be in good condition and have some water content after 5 years worth of condensation. But I would be inclined to just give it a go and see if it fires before you start stripping things down. If you do decide to check and clean everything add a compression test to your list. Also a can of Easystart aerosol will make it fire if there's spark and the timing's right.

• Like 1

Hello Paul.

If the engine has not turned over for about 5yrs I would be careful about any pistion rings sticking to the bore(s). 

Should that be the case the sudden turning of the engine via the starter motor can in some cases (I've experienced it) cause a ring to snap.

It will be a good idea, if you have any, to give each bore a small shot of Redex. Failing that a squirt of WD40 or 3-in-1 oil about 12hrs before turning the engine over. 

If you take this route my initial turning over of the engine would be with a ring spanner or similar on the crankshaft pulley nut, this will ease the pistion movement gently and should there be any of the rings be stuck this will be a far gentler way of freeing them from their slumber.

It's a faff, but it may pay dividends by preventing a snapped ring if that situation is lurking.

Do not try and turn it via the water pump.

Regards.

Richard.

Took the Vitesse for its MOT today passed no advisories though headlights were too high so they adjusted them there and then 

When I switched off the engine ran on for a second or so - what is this a sign of ??

Regards

Paul 

post-1431-0-79160900-1500975563_thumb.jpg