Cant get the horn

Sneillyboy

Hi Guys

wondered if anyone can help me (In Lay man terms ) how to fault find on a horn (Two Litre Vitesse )

The horn on the passenger side doesnt sound and I need help to fault find and repair .

The wiring diagram shows a perm 12v live to each horn and the the return wire from each one then join and switch to earth through the horn push? If I have understood the diagram correctly ? So the first question is where do I locate where the two return wires join as I suspect this is a good place to start ?

Also in my haste to trace the wiring I have dislodged a Blue/white striped wire from its push joint central above the front grille, there is a joint with three other blue/ white stripe wires is it safe to assume that this belongs here ?

any help gratefully recieved 

Blue white is main beam

if you earth the earth terminal does the horn actually work work.

The earth runs up the outer column harness to the sprung brush in the wheel is earthed via the inner column a wire which jumps the column UJ and the rack is earthed from the lubrication plug on top of the rack pinion hsg.

pete

• Like 1

Thanks Pete

I disconnected both terminals and connected a multi meter to them , pushed the horn and nothing ?  Are both horns fused by the same fuse ?

It would be unusual to have an individual feed to each horn. Normally the feed continues from the first horn to the second.

Are these horns the same as the wind horns on a mark iv spitfire. (Pete and Doug know where this is going). If so, then the contact gap inside the unit is probably corroded but should be easy to repair. I can give instructions with pictures, but for the time being search for 'horn unit faulty' in forums. I assume you have twin horns and that one works the other not. If this is so, swap the connections to check if the horn unut is faulty or the wiring

Thanks guys have now established that horn works when wired direct to battery, also there is a permanent 12v to one of the connections

I now need to know where the purple with black stripe goes off to as I suspect that may be the issue ??

The diagram shows that one Purple /black wire from each horn join and then one wire goes to the horn psh assembly.

I  need to know where these wires join ??

Thank you

In my experience with my brake light cable/connectors, I found that the Lucar connector had not been soldered onto the cable with enough bare wire.  When the switch broke, simply taking the connector off the terminal broke the minuscule amount of solder making the connector. I tested this by putting a scotchlok around the wire about 1cm away from the terminal and testing it with a meter. When I found there was power getting along the cable, but not to the connector, it was a simple job of shortening the cable a little and soldering a new connector onto the wire. Check that out first before doing anything drastic with the wiring.  a little experimentation plus help on this forum saved a me lot of time, effort and cash.

The green wire that goes to the indicators needs to connest to green and red on the main harness for the right and green and white for the left. Six months after rebuilding a Mk1 Vitesse complete with MOT I noticed a driver at a roundabout suggesting with hand signals that I was indicating left and went to the right.

And yes when the bonnet went back on the wires had been connected the wrong way round and until then nobody had noticed.Well they were working!! OOPS.