D-Type OD. Running out of ideas

ShaunW

:rolleyes: I just went back and read the solenoid replacement pdf again. It does look remarkably  similar doesn't it. 

I'm taking the box to the garage to be refitted tomorrow.  Nervousness > excitement at the moment. No need to be but the event is a bit tainted by the fact she had a complete electrical cut out twice on the way to dropping her off. And my OD fix is as yet untested.

I think I might have her brought home on a flat bed so I can give her some tlc. Missus is adamant that she doesn't want to tow me back in case she 'does anything wrong' jeez it makes me sound like a real tyrant. Maybe if our tow rope wasn't about 3 feet long she'd be a bit more confident. :blink:

• 6 months later...

I thought I'd wrap this one up for anyone who looks through it in the future. I think I left things about 6 months ago at the stage where I'd installed the missing pump cam. 

That moment when I drove up the road and hit the switch was a nervy one but.... IT WORKED ? The consequences of it not working were a horrible dark cloud that's now blown away. 

And I have to say it worked really well, responsive, stayed in the right mode, just did what it says on the tin. 

Thank you thank you thank you for the advice that got me to this point. Brilliant. 

Shame I've got a new horrible rattle from somewhere under the car that I never had before, but that seems like a nice little job after the OD issues. ?

Thanks Pete. Yes it sounds like the exhaust, it's only supported at the manifold and at the rear so I'll have to rig up some sort of mounting midway, and make sure the fuel and brake pipes have a few extra P-clips while I'm under there. 

Thanks for bringing the story right through to the end!

First time I've seen the cam completely left out.  I can see how it could happen though - when you get a recon exchange box the cam is sometimes not fitted and you are expected to swap it from you old box yourself...... if you notice!

Nick

Cheers Nick. I know the frustration of following a promising looking thread only for it to fizzle out at the key moment. 

I bet whoever installed that box did some swearing and head scratching. 

Missing cam is not unusual ,  I had one up here ,  the other is the anti clatted the wide sprung circlip   that gets left on the departing mainshaft

Some where ive got a nice repaired spigot where a slug has been installed, but it was loose and chewed the needles and inside the input bore,  had it been braized in it would have worked , not as a floater.

After all the years of mix and match , misguided repairs  makes classics a good learning curve

Missing  cam or the woodruff key  is a frustaion as you try everything else first  and start to loose heart

Pete