clutch failure charts

Pete Lewis

Pete,

This is really useful. I've already been able to identify two problems with the old clutch from the clutch failure pictures.

Can anybody recommend the correct type of grease to lightly smear the input shaft splines with? I know it isn't supposed to be normal bearing grease, which is prone to being flung onto the driven plate. The manual recommends zinc oxide grease which I've never seen sold (it sounds more like something to put on nappy rash!)  

Wayne

Colin,

Please see my other thread regarding my splines which are now very shiny and smooth. I think the stiction was partly down to baked on clutch dust and lubricant at the extreme end of the input shaft so I'll probably do as you do and leave it dry. Do you grease the pivot points on the actuator fork and the release bearing carrier?

Wayne

yes grease the front cover tube and the pivots 

have (thanks Adrian)  corrected the file  and added a missing page 2 

as far as the throwout goes check the groove has not got a worn dent in it , if so remove the anti rotation pin and replace it in a new place

you can improve the lever pugs if they have flats on by welding in a short clevis pin

and if the bearing is only 15mm thick fit a washer under the spherical post to gain lever angle  the orig bearings were 19mm thick 

clutch release 002.JPG

clutch release 006.JPG

clutch release 007.JPG

• 2 years later...