My Spitfires History

Anglefire

I ordered a Heritage certificate a week or so ago and it arrived this morning.

Makes for interesting reading!

It was built on 20th April 1977 - registered in August that year.

It was originally Brooklands Green - it's now Blue.

It had a beige interior - now its black.

Options included Radial tyres, Centre arm rest, Map light (Where's that?) Dipping interior mirror (Not looked!) Exterior mirror, inertia belts and laminated windscreen.

Also has the original engine number - Fm/85847-HE - which I know was changed before I had it and I've changed it since.

Door key isn't the same as the original either!

• 1 month later...

Mark,

Brooklands green with beige interior would have been nice, but I'm a pensioner we like everything beige! Wonder why it was changed. Even the door cards? 

My own car is mimosa yellow with chestnut interior, which has faded to pensioner beige, lovely.

Doug

Maybe  its just a swapped V5 car and never was what it is supposed to be now ?

Strange they recorded engine but not unit numbers on the track and did not record body numbers

it would have been in place  as production control for Biw and paint progress , but they never seemed to record it being married to a chassis as any vehicle data 

Likewise warranty on replacement units how would they know the gearbox was from a particular car.  Very odd. 

Without some controls stuff could be fiddled from anywhere just get  the prefix ,  and claim £££

Little wonder  just another way they went bust

Well that is also possible. I must read the refurbishment document that I had with the car - though that makes no mention of anything really other than the bonnet being changed for the gt6 one. 

Makes little difference really as everything matches in terms of v5 and chassis numbers. 

• 5 months later...

My Spitfire is 41 today :) 

I'm having a bit of the paintwork just sorted out - got a couple of rust spots so having them sorted and repainted - and he has confirmed to my Dad (I've not seen my painter for a few days but is a family friend) that there is evidence of Green 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had my car valued by the club and sent off to Peter James and they (club) have said £6500 and Peter James have accepted it with no increase in premium (I put £4.5k on the proposal) 

i did notice the t&c’s say it might revert to market value without an MOT. 

Once I’ve got the front springs and shocks replaced and the rear shocks done, I might get it into our local garage (they only charge £15) - but will try and supervise as they don’t know classics particularly. At least I have got the idle sorted so they shouldn’t need to touch the carbs this time.