Value of a rear seat conversion ?

Evil Len

Greetings all !

Wonder if I could call on the collective knowledge of the TSSC ... what's a rear seat conversion for a GT6 sensibly worth, and is anyone looking for one ?  It's been sat in my loft for eons, so possibly better off with someone who'll use it !  The photos flatter a bit, it's in good to average condition but it's not perfect.

MODS : hope this is okay ?

Cheers !

Len

gt6seat_ 002.JPG

gt6seat_ 005.JPG

gt6seat_ 007.JPG

gt6seat_ 017.JPG

Hi Len,

Welcome to the forum.

These things are difficult to value I imagine.  I recall many years ago a friend with a MkII looking for a rear seat conversion and even then (in the late 80s) they were rare.  I think that you have limited market but those who are after the hardware to do the conversion would likely be willing to pay decent money.  You just need to find them...

Let us know how you get on.

Tom

Len, Hi!

They go for hundreds on the rare occasions they turn up on Ebay. The last one £604, to be precise! Here is a write up on our very own site:

https://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/modelnews_final.asp?modelnews_ID=6&model=Triumph GT6 Mark III

Yours doesn't look too bad and a lot of money could be spent making it look better with those sort of figures on offer.

Doug

Welcome, Len!

I love the look of the rear seats - don't have one in mine and suspect I wouldn't use it even if I did (no belts - not feeling too responsible a decision to put my 7 year old in the back), but they do sell for a good price when they come up. Last one I saw made a couple of hundred pounds online and was in a much worse state than yours. I think the significant retro-fitting challenge is finding or making the brackets.

Must admit I'm tempted every time I see one for sale!

Gully

I really like the look of them and have been tempted but unwilling to pay more than a couple of hundred as already stated, impractical and still need to be fitted, etc. I guess I’ll just have to admire from afar!

Appreciate all the replies guys, much appreciated !

Adrian ... I'm not looking to give it away, but nor am I looking to wring every last penny from it ... I'd rather let someone who'd use and appreciate it have it, instead of it spending another couple of decades in my garage loft !  Assuming they are happy with the condition, if a TSSC member wants to give me £200 for it I'd be happy with that.  For fairness, first PM wins.  p.s. Adrian, I'm not far from you, Hinckley

14 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

How difficult would they be to make? It's just ply board, vinyl, padding, a bit of carpet, brackets and sliding gate locks. 

db

Not that difficult if you have one to use as a template, but as with any car accessory the factory option will always be worth more than a copy. That one looks to be in great condition. They may be impractical but the the rear seats of an MGB GT are impossible to sit in, either, and they're handy for setting things on. 

I've just found a local upholsterer who claims he can exactly replicate the covers on my Herald convertible rear seat - I'm to supply one which he can copy - so I reckon the GT6 seat would be a similar job. I'll report in due course...

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Not that difficult if you have one to use as a template, but as with any car accessory the factory option will always be worth more than a copy. That one looks to be in great condition. They may be impractical but the the rear seats of an MGB GT are impossible to sit in, either, and they're handy for setting things on. 

I've just found a local upholsterer who claims he can exactly replicate the covers on my Herald convertible rear seat - I'm to supply one which he can copy - so I reckon the GT6 seat would be a similar job. I'll report in due course...

Hi. Any chance of the name of the upholsterer? I am converting my 13/60 to use Cloth covered MX seats when finished, Necessary because the standard seats have insufficient back support. Therefore the name of any good upholsterer will be useful.

?????********! I just realised your in NI!. Freight could be an issue.:angry:

Cheers Pete

47 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Pete,  Not sure where you are but I used these people to sort my seats some years ago.  No problems encountered, and no connection with the company.  They do a variety of work, including both classics and bespoke stuff for the hot rod community. Dick

http://richmondjames.co.uk

Hi. I am in Yorkshire, But. Thanks, I will file that. I know Waterlooville. having lived further up the M3 by J-4 for several years. We Have family Farnborough, and Reading way. So get down from time to time in the Motorhome, currently granddaughter is in her last semester at Winchester Uni.

Pete

Well, I’m now the new owner of the seats and yes, they are in very good condition. No doubt I’ll be asking for help in the fitting once I’ve read the various threads and fitting instructions on this website!