What should Code 19 White look like?

Freyasgrandad

I know this sounds silly but before I make a fool of myself complaining to the supplier.

My car's build records and trim plate all show it as being painted in Code 19 White. Now I know that she had a full respray back in 2008/9 but I assumed that this was in the original colour and several other Triumph owners have also expressed the opinion that it was Code 19.

Recently I ordered a tin of touch up paint from a very reputable source, it duly arrived with a label on the bottom saying "TRIUMPH WHITE CODE 19". All good so far, until that is I actually went to use it, the paint is a creamy colour very similar to BMC Old English White or MINI Pepper White rather than the bright white of my car which is  similar to Mazda Snowflake although without the pearl finish.

Has my car been resprayed in another white, or is the supplied paint the wrong colour for Code 19.

Triumph white is a creamy white, when mixed the paintshop will add surprising quantities of yellow and even black to the base colour but it's a warmer colour than the Sebring White which is an icy, almost blue colour. There was also shades called Nimbus White or Spa White available back in the day, Spa was also a warmer colour, but none of them are as creamy yellow as the Old English White, which as you say is a BMC colour.

I'll attach a colour chart - which shows 19 as 'Pure White' - plus a photo of my 1200 Estate, resprayed in Triumph White, in the hope that it will give you some idea of the colour. A photo unfortunately never seems to reproduce a colour as accurately as seeing it in the flesh, though.

colours.jpg.f64ef59ca87090bb3137c130a022b7d3.jpg

DSCF0930.jpg.3c0180eaf5ebfcdaefb18bdb396d5e4c.jpg

• Thanks 1

Rather than just experiment, if you take the car to a paint factors they can match it up, and either identify the colour or make a small batch up (but that can cost).  The latter approach may be needed if the 'original' paint has faded/discoloured over time and a touch-up is all that is required (works on old Land Rovers).  On a modern needing work very often the filler cap cover is a good starting point, hopeless in our case.

It does depend how original your car is to what colour, and how its aged, is present. However, Sebring White, 29, was an early colour and used from 1959 to 1961. The only white used by the factory on all Vitesse models was Triumph White 19. For some unknown reason 19 is called New White on the TR models.

Dave

Totally agree - I bought my car being told it was old English. It is actually Code 19 Triumph white. I think there are possible subtle differences as I had some made up and it was slightly different. I might be wrong but the new paint seems to be a little richer on off whites, does the weathering or polishing of paint bleach the colour?

The pics aren't necessarily true to colour either.

Triumph GT6 Mk3 -4.jpg

Triumph GT6 Mk3 -1.jpg

• Like 1

Ooooo! Nice!

23 minutes ago, Adrian said:

does the weathering or polishing of paint bleach the colour?

When I had my car re-sprayed the garage phoned me up in a panic, certain I had told them the wrong colour. The original Mimosa yellow had faded to the colour of a post it note.

Doug

I think a few people missed the point of my question here, anyway I took the car to a paint factor yesterday and had it scanned, they also scanned a sample of the touch up paint.

So, my car was sprayed in and out with Ford Ermine White in 2008, when it was still available off the self. The touch up can is a bit strange, the closest colour match is with white primer although it is definitely gloss.  According to the scan it contains more yellow and red than Leyland New White. Think I shall be returning the can ton the supplier, who to be fair does not mix the colours so really the fault is with their supplier.

Anyway I now have the correct paint.

Steve

You did ask "What should Code 19 White look like?" I guess hence the response. Loads of white cars, you got to remember we are all proud of them hence any opportunity!  

I am glad you got it sorted as it can be a problem where a non Triumph colour has been used.

Well done.

Dave

6 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

You did ask "What should Code 19 White look like?" I guess hence the response. Loads of white cars, you got to remember we are all proud of them hence any opportunity!  

I am glad you got it sorted as it can be a problem where a non Triumph colour has been used.

Well done.

Dave

100% agree we can only answer what is asked and as always wander amongst the tulips on the way. Ford paint and triumph paint is unlikely to be same although because of the links I believe triumph and rover do/can have similar variants.

• 3 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, dave.vitesse said:

Triumph White or New White, 19, has a slight creamy look. BMC Old English White is darker, more yellow in it.

Dave

DSC04023.JPG

sorry to drag this up from the past but that's the first time I have seen it as new white not pure white, just received my heritage certificate back and it says new white so was a bit confused when I kept seeing it referred to as pure white. oh its a "71 gt6 btw

is there a modern paint reference number (RAL number)?

cheers Dan

New White is the same as Triumph White. Code 19. This is correct for a 1971 GT6. Pure White is not a Triumph colour. Has your GT6 been resprayed in Pure White?

From 1976/7 New White was replaced with Leyland White Code NAF which looked more white. Sorry I don't have any modern paint ref number, I would give the club shop a ring as they should be able to give you the code. 

Never heard New White called pure white before, maybe someone is getting confused with Leyland White.

I had a Dolomite 1850 in Leyland White years ago and it didn't have that creamy look of New White.

Dave

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:47 PM, Colin Lindsay said:

Triumph white is a creamy white, when mixed the paintshop will add surprising quantities of yellow and even black to the base colour but it's a warmer colour than the Sebring White which is an icy, almost blue colour. There was also shades called Nimbus White or Spa White available back in the day, Spa was also a warmer colour, but none of them are as creamy yellow as the Old English White, which as you say is a BMC colour.

I'll attach a colour chart - which shows 19 as 'Pure White' - plus a photo of my 1200 Estate, resprayed in Triumph White, in the hope that it will give you some idea of the colour. A photo unfortunately never seems to reproduce a colour as accurately as seeing it in the flesh, though.

colours.jpg.f64ef59ca87090bb3137c130a022b7d3.jpg

DSCF0930.jpg.3c0180eaf5ebfcdaefb18bdb396d5e4c.jpg

its listed in this colour chart as 19 pure white and most of the other charts its listed as pure white, my gt6 has been painted before so will have to try and do a colour match to double check its been painted in the original colour.

The chart is not a factory document (Standard Triumph) and hence you have to be careful. A number of the colours given in the chart were not Standard Triumph colours. Pure White being one. Confusion took place when Triumph, Rover and BMC combined into British Leyland. I would look at any BMC, Austin Morris, colours.

If you after a paint match I would take your car to Halfords and they should be able to match the paint.

Dave

On 3/28/2018 at 8:03 PM, Freyasgrandad said:

Having looked at all the pictures I am inclined to think that my car IS code 19 so perhaps a better question would be has anyone else had issues with touch up paint from a highly reputable supplier?

Steve

On 7/22/2018 at 1:05 PM, dave.vitesse said:

If you after a paint match I would take your car to Halfords and they should be able to match the paint.

Dave

In my experience one answer cancels out the other... yes I have, Steve, and having obtained a small plastic bottle of yellow and black-streaked grey goo that someone valiantly attempted to sell me when I requested a litre of Triumph White, I'll avoid Halfords in future... sorry Dave!