Gearbox Carbon Cover Wrap

Paul H

Vitesse Mk2 Plastic Gearbox cover 

My Gearbox cover is white so when adding the black carpet the key tray looked awful so painted the tray black - the paint chipped so it looked even worse. For a bit of fun purchased some "Carbon Wrap look plastic wrap "  from China. The results needs a little bit of imagination , firstly the white areas you can see are covered by carpet and the carbon wrapped  tray is better than the pic as there is a lot of reflection. As the tray is tucked away in the dash area pretty sure the effect will be ok and the tray functional and no more chips

The result can be improved though I would have to remove all the surface imperfections in the key tray so more than happy with the result - You use a hot air gun to push the wrap into shape and it might take a couple of goes to get it right . The wrap will come off if required though will take the underneath paint which is no biggie . Fascinating stuff to work with and the resulting surface is very tough and scratch proof . Not sure where the rest of the wrap can be used though ???? and fully appreciate this approach might not appeal to a classic car purist 

Paul

carbon-wrap.thumb.jpg.f86b0351ab09545599a85674c99fde1f.jpg

That looks fine Paul. Tucked away too so all ok. 

I’ve fitted a vac formed tunnel, in black, from Rimmer Bros and gone to town on it regarding sound and heat insulation, sealing to body and fastening to body. As I’m in engineering I’ve recorded all the details, as I do for all my enhancements, which I would post to benefit others. 

9A4C6147-3777-4240-91B6-71911EE47FAC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Adrian Saunders said:

My measurements for the centre of the plug are 6” from the bulkhead and 2” up from the surface that the tunnel sits on. This puts the centre of the hole on the angled face of the tunnel, at the rear of the starter motor. Is this similar to what you’ve found? 

Hi Adrian - 6ins in and 2ins up is the centre of my inspection flap - hope this helps 

Paul 

• 2 months later...

I fitted two inspection holes in my GT6, gearbox and speedo drive, both are big enough to work through then I covered both in leather the same as the seats, not very clear photo's sorry, the tunnel is covered in dynomat, Fatmax xtreme and carpeted on the inside

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

1 hour ago, Guppy916 said:

Hi Shaun that old rust ring came with the car, I just shot blasted it gave it to the chromers with a twenty pound note and a week later it was nice and shiny. I must screw it down now

? Much more satisfying than just clicking 'add to basket'. All I need now is a rusty one.

I've just got a hole with a chrome stick poking through it at the moment. The heat blows through it like a hair drier.