Spit6/GT6C badging

ShaunW

I've noticed my car doesn't have any badging anywhere. Not even a Triumph logo on rear number plate lights (it's just two small domes on bumper).

I'd like to somehow show that it's a convertable 6 (it was a '76 spit, but lots isn't incl the doors with quarterlights which I like)..anyway, has anyone done anything interesting when badging their mongrel.  Doesn't seem right having 'Spitfire' written on it. I was thinking about maybe 'Truimph" and "GT6C" either side of the boot lock but I didn't want just generic stick-on letters really. Maybe a GT6 Mk3 badge could be worked on somehow to change space for Mk3 to a "C". Near the bonnet catch looks a good place too.

Ideas?

I would hesitate to badge  it a GT6, as it isn't. Maybe that is just me, but I like cars to stick true to their identity.

Early cars can use the spitfire scroll type badge, and add the 6 from a vitesse.

Later cars need other options. A local had his "spitfire 1500" sticker on the bonnet replaced with "spitfire 2500" being a TR6 engine, but Spitfire 2000 would work. Or as Colin points out, get inserts made for the chrome-rimmed badges. Maybe Spitfire 6, or 2.0 or whatever.

0009617_bonnet-badge-early-1500-usa62518Image result for spitfire 1500 badges

When I got my GT6 back from new wings and a re-spray they gave me the British Leyland badges in a plastic bag. Their view was that "people are disappointed to have the BL badges re-installed so we give them the option". I've noticed over the years that BL badges are frequently removed and quite rare. Why is it? Do we hold BL responsible for the demise of Triumph?

Doug

4 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Do we hold BL responsible for the demise of Triumph?

Doug

Yes Doug! It was the parlous state of BMC finances which bought Leyland Motors down after the merger. The cost engineers moved in and lowered standards instead of raising them and management fixing the real problems (lack-lustre BMC lineup, industrial unrest, etc.) and the Stag & Dolly engines resulted, along with bodies that rusted when you sneezed and other things.

ShaunW - While I refer to mine as a Spit 2.5PI, the badging is bog-standard 1500. Of course, the engine-back bonnet "sans bulge" helps with this subterfuge!

Cheers, Richard

Doug, I agree with Richard's comments. The merger with BMC was forced on  Leyland by the government of the day with the idea of saving the UK car industry due to its poor ranking in the would markets. One big UK car company to compete with the US.  But the cost engineer had to be brought in to reduce the overall losses of a now very large company. 

As for the slant four and V8. A large amount of the problems with these engine were due to cost cutting. The head gasket being one example. The slant four was first built for Saab who asked for the head bolt arrangement so the head could be removed without touching the over head cam set-up. Because of this the original design had to have a high spec, costly, head gasket. The production engine had the standard off the shelf, low cost,  job. Hence the problems and high warranty claims, which cost more than the correct spec gasket. Short term gain, long term loss.

As for rust, yes they did but most car rusted until quite recently.

Dave 

Thanks all. After a bit more thought I think Spitfire 2500 or 2.5 is the most appropriate. I'll try and find a reasonably priced 'Triumph' number plate light too I think. I don't like a lot of badges and stickers but felt she needed something to help educate passersby when she's parked. 

You can fit the earlier 'block' number plate light to a later 'bubble' car/bumper, you just need to drill new holes for the block's mountings and bulb holders.  The block will cover the old bubble light mounting holes.

9 hours ago, Mjit said:

You can fit the earlier 'block' number plate light to a later 'bubble' car/bumper, you just need to drill new holes for the block's mountings and bulb holders.  The block will cover the old bubble light mounting holes.