Oil Pressure Oddity

Anglefire

Just been out to town this morning and when I came back thought I’d check the temperatures. Stat housing was showing over 100 as were a couple of other bits, sump 88 or so. 

So I thought I’d restart the engine and the top of the engine and stat housing dropped to 90-95 radiator high 80’s. So about normal I would say, given the stat is 88’c I think. 

Do you think I should run a summer stat? 

the dizzy pedestal has gaskets to the block and the dizzy case has an 0 ring to seal it to the pedestal

any oil inside comes out a drain hole in the dizzy base 

there is no real seal on the drive spindle most have a scroll 

as for thermostats   the std is 82c  the 88c was only specified for north america 

and  that my be due to leaner  emission running rather than climate.

Pete

I must admit I’m sure the stat is 88. I did order a new stat and the “wrong” one came. But can’t remember if I ordered the 88 and an 82 came or the other way around. 

Not sure if 6’c will affect the pressure of the oil much. Assuming that a lower water temperature directly equates to a lower oil temperature. 

The dizzy came from the dizzy doctor so the seal should be new. 

the thing with higher temperatures is yo run leaner and hotter , so valves and plugs can suffer 

most cars with 88c were in the late 70/80s when emissions kicked in and white exhausts  tail pipes   appeared due to lean running

so 82 c is the normal for most Triumphs of our vintage 

Pete

I will order up a new 82’c stat I think. Nowt to loose. What’s the betting a 82 is fitted. ?

also going to get some new dizzy pedestal gaskets - I’ve read up how to check the clearance - I did measure it when I put it in. But not 100% sure I did it right. I’ve watched a video now and it’s become ruddy obvious ?