Oil Pressure Oddity

Anglefire

I have a real weird issue with my oil pressure on start up.

Which I think I've worked out what is happening.

Basically, I start the engine and the oil light goes out almost straight away.

The pressure gauge builds up, then falls, then builds up, then might fall again, then builds up and sits at 90psi ish. Then as it warms up drops back to 50psi ish - even hotter and it drops another 10psi or so.

The lower the oil level, the more times its seems to oscillate.

I think what is happening, is that the pump basically is pulling the oil out of the sump quicker than its dropping back in - until its warm enough.

I've had a look at the dipstick tube to see if the marks are in the right place and compared it to the engine I took out.

IMG_0228.thumb.jpg.728c1c490a4be951136672db011321ad.jpg

Current engine on the right, old engine the left.

IMG_0220(1).thumb.jpg.2dd96ef263937e24df4b7bc12404fba2.jpg

Current engine tube length 30mm or 1 3/8" 

IMG_0219(1).thumb.jpg.7a05e5512cfe862d50754cefe47bf295.jpg

Old tube length 1 1/4" 

So given the marks on the old and new are about the same in the engine, any ideas why the oil return is slow?

Assuming that the oil level is actually correct in both cases!

The old engine came out of a Dolly, the new one is a Spitfire engine.

I am going to change the oil anyway soon and put Millers 20/50 in which might get done next weekend unless I get some time one evening this week.

With a sump capacity of 4.5 litres and guess the oil, gallery and crank take about  0.5 ltr then doubt its sucking from a empty sump

There more than enough to keep the strainer in oil,  unless theres a crack in the suction tube

I would look more at the prv and its seating  and the filter 

Pete

21 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

With a sump capacity of 4.5 litres and guess the oil, gallery and crank take about  0.5 ltr then doubt its sucking from a empty sump

There more than enough to keep the strainer in oil,  unless theres a crack in the suction tube

I would look more at the prv and its seating  and the filter 

Pete

Oil pump is new. So hopefully that it’s it. The level only needs to go below the level of the intake. And was a lot worse when the level was down to the minimum mark. Once topped up was ok. 

Prv is new - but I’ve not inspected the seat. Might need a cut down drill ..

But as has been said, the oil pickup should be below the dipstick minimum mark, and the oil capacity between marks is much more than the expected capacity of the upper part of the engine. If your theory is correct, then you've got a serious problem with failure to drain back from the working parts to the sump. I'm not quite sure how that could be.

No, I haven’t either. 

Im going to drop the oil at the weekend and fit a new filter and look at the prv again. 

Going to fit the 3/4 adapter and a suitable filter. The one @rogerguzzi suggested on the other post is about £2.70 from eurocarparts with the current discount and they have an outlet right by the office. So will get one or two in 

It does look like PRV - looking at the video's I took a few minutes ago. You can see the valve (I assume!) either opening or closing!

The choke stuck on the one carb so was running rough and only about 500rpm!

Second time I started it, it was ok (ish!)

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to have another look at my pressure this morning - as I have changed the oil, I thought I would see if I could work out how much went in. As I used a new can I poured out the remaining oil into my topup jug (Nice green quart Castrol one) - and it went way past the quart mark and was about to spill and there was still some more in the can :wacko:

So I poured half what was left back into the can to leave me with about 0.5ltr and poured that into the engine (Bearing in mind the dipstick was showing full already.

So its now showing well full on the dipstick :unsure:

But started it up - still getting the initial 50psi after a couple of seconds to then fall back before rising to 80-90 and staying there until it warms up - so I think unless it blows up before then I'll strip it down next winter and see what the issue is. (though I'm trying to sort a shorten drill bit to clean the PRV seat in the meantime too)  But after a few miles with the engine hot (oil may not be fully hot to be fair) but it did look a better pressure.

Its also running alot better now I have the manifold leak sorted - does actually idle below 1000rpm. Need to twiddle some more as the needle is now, in theory too lean for the exhaust etc. 

Not changed the switch but hopefully going out this evening for a more controlled checkup.  It is so long since I had a problem, I thought that the green light was the alternator... until I got home and checked the book!! Never thought to check the oil pressure guage and not been out since.