GT6 sump

Guppy916

Just trying to find out any differences, I believe TR6 and 2.5 saloon are the same , but what about gt6's  

i am fitting another 2.5 into my GT6 , when I took out the last 2.5 from my car it was blinking tight to get the sump out past the chassis Cross member , so I was wondering if the sumps were different , 

The saloon engine, not the TR, was fitted canted, tilted to the right, for a lower bonnet line.    The front engine mounts, the rear engine plate and the sump (and the intake manifold) reflect this.     The sump base is at an angle, and the front of the deep part is more forward, as you have found.    

Fortunately, an OE GT6, or Vitesse, or TR, sump bolts straight on, BUT you have to hammer small bulges in the shallow part to clear the longer stroke big ends of a 2.5, if you use a 2L sump.

John

I doubt a saloon sump has been fitted to a gt6, as it needs modifying to clear the rack if you want to get the engine low enough. 

But as john points out, the give away is the angled sump base and indeed front section.

Not sure about tr sumps, I assume they are  "flat" but no experience. And the import tr6 inlet manifold (cw carbs etc) I bought for my Vitesse was canted. And it was definitely off a tr6. Odd.

I've tapped the front shallow section to go over the steering rack, and tapped a couple of clearance bulges for numbers 1 & 2 big ends to clear ,  so I would like to know  the distance from the very front edge to the start of the deep section .

on a known GT 6 mk3 sump 

I can't read Guppy's mind, they must explain, but it is necessary, for the reasons I've explained and of which you are aware, to use a GT6/Vitesse sump on a 2.5L fitted to a GT6/Vitesse.   Then, with the stroke clearance bumps, it fits the chassis.

Guppy must explain why they are so concerned about the dimension they ask about.   I can't imagine they want to put the engine forward - maybe there is some mod to the front cross member??

John

Sorry guys, i'm not making myself very clear, I have a MK3 GT6, with a 2.5 block, when i took the engine out, it was a right pain, because the deep part of the sump kept hitting the cross member, The gear box is still in the car, I know its a 2.5 sump because it came with the engine, and the lady i bought it from, said her dad never touch it, then he passed away !  the car just sat in the garage until her mum went to meet her dad under the apple tree, she is now clearing mums estate, the sump pan is at an angle, and I was wondering if the deep part of the sump was smaller in length on a GT6 sump, may be set set back an inch or two, to help it clear the cross member,

I have done all the necessary panel beating to the sump for big end clearance and steering rack clearance, 

I think this was answered above

On 16/06/2018 at 11:06 AM, JohnD said:

The saloon engine, not the TR, was fitted canted, tilted to the right, for a lower bonnet line.    The front engine mounts, the rear engine plate and the sump (and the intake manifold) reflect this.     The sump base is at an angle, and the front of the deep part is more forward, as you have found.

(emphasis mine)

Guppy,

You are right to suspect that the GT6 sump deep part is shorter, further from the front, and will clear your cross member.    I'm surprised that you DPO managed to fit a 2.5 sump at all!  You'll be fine with a GT6 one.

John

Thanks for everybody's help I have cut and shut the 2.5 sump , from the front I cut off 50mm   To reduce the deep part  in length and hey presto it fits a treat, engine dropped in without hitting the front cross member 'well just' 

now I have to fit all the bits and bobs 

• Like 2