Vitesse breather valve assembly

Robin

Hope someone can help..

I've just noticed a slight 'whine' coming from the breather valve assembly on my Mk2 vitesse - I took it apart and cleaned off the build up of oil (see photo) which has helped but it still has this slight whine which I assume is due to leaking air (see video). I can't see any damage to the rubber diaphragm but is it worth replacing just in case?   If so, where's the best place to get one? The whine has also coincided with a slight increase in tick-over but this may be due to what I think is a a sticking choke cable. Overall performance doesn't seem to be affected.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Robin

Vitesse Breather Valve Assembly.jpg

Robin

It does sound like an air leak and that you are affecting it with your slight finger pressure on the cover of the Smiths valve .

The inlet manifold is putting negative pressure on the whole assembly and I would have thought it beneficial to have clips on the hoses. The top end of your hose from  valve to inlet looks a bit squiffy and might be the cause. (on the GT6 we have a funny S bend shaped hose in this location).

PS If purchasing a new diaphragm I would avoid RB as one I bought has not really FFP.

Ian F

I bought a replacement Smiths valve diaphragm from Canleys late last year - was just about large enough to seal. Quality and fit certainly not as good as the one I removed, but it also didn't have a split in it! Just had to locate it carefully. I first noticed the fault when the idle tick over increased by around 100 rpm - dropped back to normal as soon as I replaced the diaphragm. Placing a finger over the equalisation hole stopped the hissing noise it was making and dropped the tick over, which pointed me towards the diaphragm fault.

Gully