Rear Brake Adjustment

Anglefire

My handbrake is a little near the top and the brakes have had a good "bedding" in since being replaced - so I thought I'd adjust the rear shoes to just tighten them up a little.

Well, after a couple of miles down the road where I stopped to drop my eldest off at her friends, I had to get out and readjust them back again as i was smoking!

Knocked them bad a notch or two and got back home with no smoke on arrival but still feeling a bit hot - so knocked the passenger side a notch.

The handbrake cables aren't tight - but I feel the adjustment isn't right still. 

Any tips? I did them on ramps so not hanging down or anything - and what size is the adjustment screws? I have everything under the sun and nothing quite fits!

No rush I decided to put the car away and crack open a couple of cold ones. ?

Adjusters are 1/4" square,  I use a 1/4drive  extention reversed and find a socket to fit the other end , a   1/4af     bihex will fit and you, can get on easy with the wheels in the way with a small ratchet 

Rear adjustment , never set up the cable length with the axles hanging,  block them up to running height

Disconnect the cable, lock the shoes adjuster up firmly  then fit cable adjusted to suit the fit of the pin, de adjust about 4 clicks 

Or about one turn

Do make sure the trailing shoe is not upside down the unused square hole for the handbrake lever must be at the bottom

Pete

So here's how I do it....

Back end jacked up and weight of the car on axle stands under each upright. (Wheels off!)

DSC_1013 (1).JPG

Disconnect the handbrake cable at both drums.

For each side in turn:

Adjust until the drum binds, then back off 1 "click"

Reconnect the handbrake cables each side.

Use the hand brake cable adjuster at each drum to take up any slack in the cable.

Check that the drums are not binding - it they are back the cable adjusters off until they are free

Try the hand brake... 

Regardless of the amount of travel, does the hand brake lock the drums up nicely?

Assuming it works....

If the travel on the handbrake is too much or too little, remove the tunnel trim to get to the adjuster just behind the hand brake level. Slacken/Tighten to adjust travel on leave.

Refit all the parts!

Looks like you have the same jack and stands as me! (Well the ones I bought, I made my own as a student when I was about 19 - tested on a press to 7tonnes from memory. Just a bit high at times on the Spitfire - but ideal on my old Disco!

Actually after I adjusted them, the brakes felt much nicer - and the handbrake did seem to hold better - it wasn't great before.

I'll bite the bullet and drop the wheels off and do it properly.

But we are away next weekend so will either be one evening or in a week or two.

14 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Adjusters are 1/4" square,  I use a 1/4drive  extention reversed and find a socket to fit the other end , a   1/4af     bihex will fit and you, can get on easy with the wheels in the way with a small ratchet 

Thanks Pete - I did wonder if it was 1/4 but I have one and didn't seem to fit - but as it happens I did try my 1/4 adapter for screwdriver bits and seemed to work ok!

The cable should self centre thro 10  it is slotted   10 is pinned to the lever which has aselection of holes to enable some change in leverage   the angle of the lever is critical or leverage is easily lost 

All, angles and  hole are in the wsm.

Pete

• Like 1

One thing that has not been mentioned is to give the brakes a good hefty application of the right foot. This will centre everything. Then do a final tweek to the adjusters if required. 

I will be honest too. On non-rotoflex cars, I don't bother getting the wheels at ride height to adjust the cable. I do it at droop, and the geometry of the cable means it isn't a big issue. (rotoflex must be done at ride-height)

• Like 3

I think I might fit the Mintex pads I bought for the front at the same time as I sort the back out and then the hefty application can bed in the front too! 

But thanks all - I'll give it a go when I find some time!

Doesn't help but youngest is learning to drive and so I do have to enjoy a white knuckle ride some evenings! (She isn't that bad - passed the theory first time and passed a mock test yesterday!) 

7 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

I always adjust rear brakes on my Mk1 Vitesse with the wheels on to properly seat the drum, does seem to make a difference.

Regards

Paul

Interesting. Do you have the drum retaining screws fitted? They should hold the drum in place.

After reading this thread I decided it was about time I greased up the secondary cable guides and compensator; in the process I discovered that the clevis pin joining the compensator to the lever was rusted solid so that they were moving as a pair! In operation, the relative movement between these two parts is quite small, so with the handbrake on or off, not something  you really notice with a cursory glance, especially tucked up where it is.

No amount of fighting it under a car on axle stands would shift it - so I had to disconnect the secondary cable from one wheel and feed it back through the secondary cable guide and out of the compensator; disconnect the cable from the handbrake to get the argumentative pair on the bench where I could give them some “what for” with a large hammer and a punch to remove the clevis pin and separate them.

Feeding the secondary cable through the cable guide was really fun because I found the threaded straight end on my cable was just too long to go round the guide in one go; I had to fight it into a loop and feed the threaded portion though each end of the guide separately – greasy springy cable going everywhere except where I wanted it to go!

Cleaned and painted the lever and compensator and reassembled everything with new clevis pins and plenty of grease.

After adjusting things as per the WSM as Pete indicated earlier, the handbrake feels a whole lot more positive.

David

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

On the lever pivot pin there is a felt pad to oil/grease,  bit late now its all back together but on mine I drilled and tapped  the pivot pin to take a greaser as I had to  hammer my pin out of the lever , it had not been lubed for 40 years

Pete

My lever pivot was fortunately free, bug the rubber seal was hard and breaking up and there was only a few wisps of the felt pad left.

Made a pad out of some thick felt; middle hole I punched but had to cut the outer edge with shears - it's sort of round.? and very well greased.

David

Remember to grease the cable guides as there is a lot of friction loss going on.

On the MK2 Vitesse the cable guides are welded to the body and not the chassis. This is to allow for the Rotoflex couplers. The problem with this setup is the force of the handbrake cable causes the body flex, and end weaken and crack. As the body is now weaker than the rear brakes you end up with a very poor handbrake and a springy feel to the handbrake leaver.

This is a common problem on MK2  Vitesse. If you have any concerns then take the base of the rear seat out and have a look at the body, lower area of the spring hump, when you operate the handbrake. Look for cracks and movement. If yes it requires welding and strengthening.

Dave