Press/Snap/Pop Studs Fitting Instructions

Maff

Hello,

I purchased a new hood bag for my mk3 spitfire and thought I would be fitting it yesterday.

However, despite having a hole punch gizmo and the pop studs I find I am missing something, whatever it is that is needed to secure the complete pop stud in place. The attached pic shows the tool I have. Do I need further tools?

Also, my door card has come loose and won't sit tight to the door. How easy is it to fix? I assume I replace a broken fastening?

Any help is both necessary and appreciated!

2018-07-08 20.15.51.jpg

A company called "Prym" do some pliers which take a variety of inserts to do different fasteners - e.g. soft top & hood bag - and other eyelets & press studs. You get the plier inserts when you buy some eyelets, etc. from them. I find the pliers slightly less hit and ... err ... miss than a hammer and durable dot tool. Look for "Prym Vario pliers" and you'll soon find them. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Cheers, Richard

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2018 at 1:13 PM, rlubikey said:

A company called "Prym" do some pliers which take a variety of inserts to do different fasteners - e.g. soft top & hood bag - and other eyelets & press studs. You get the plier inserts when you buy some eyelets, etc. from them. I find the pliers slightly less hit and ... err ... miss than a hammer and durable dot tool. Look for "Prym Vario pliers" and you'll soon find them. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Cheers, Richard

Can you tell me what size and type of plastic inserts I need? I'm finding this all quite complicated! I bought pliers and on reading your post a second time now realise I need more kit!

20 hours ago, Maff said:

Can you tell me what size and type of plastic inserts I need? I'm finding this all quite complicated! I bought pliers and on reading your post a second time now realise I need more kit!

Hi Maff. I'm not at home and haven't got the Spit here to measure, but I'm fairly sure I bought Prym 15mm press fastners, such as these antique look ones (so they don't stand out visually, like plain stainless). I think the 15mm refers to the overall diameter, not the stud-receptacle interface like you'd think it should. If you have a local sewing shop, they may have these and you could take one in to check.

Cheers, Richard

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally got round to fitting the hood bag today! I thought the vario prym pliers worked a treat so many thanks for the recommendation. The hood bag definitely improves the overall look of the car I think but I couldn't get it fitted snugly to the bodywork despite my best efforts. I ran out of pop studs, still have 3 to fit so will finish it when they arrive.

Many thanks for everybody's input, this forum is invaluable!

24 minutes ago, PeaTear said:

Looks good. Where did you get the hood bag?  

Thanks! The TSSC shop in Lubenham happened to have a new one knocking around when I visited a few weeks ago.

The hood bag has a couple of straps hanging off, behind the seats, that have no fixings attached, I'd like to fix these under the bag itself to tidy everything up but don't know where or what to secure the straps to?

My bag has three elastic loops fitted which attach onto wire loops which hook underneath onto the hood frame. When one of the elastics gave up the ghost, I lost one if the hooks but remade one with galvanised garden wire on a new piece of wide knicker elastic.

1 minute ago, Badwolf said:

My bag has three elastic loops fitted which attach onto wire loops which hook underneath onto the hood frame. When one of the elastics gave up the ghost, I lost one if the hooks but remade one with galvanised garden wire on a new piece of wide knicker elastic.

Aaah. Great info, knicker elastic is so versatile!

Did your straps have the hooks already fitted? Mine are sans hooks so will need to see how I can get them done.

I will photograph mine and post it here for you. I had two factory fitted ones to work from. They are easy to make depending on the gauge of wire you use. I joined the ends together with some heat shrink insulation in the hope that I wouldn't lose anymore. The elastic was simply stiched on as a loop, where the old perished elastic had been, using the same holes in the hood bag, with black strong thread.

These are mine. Two are production, the center one I made out of 2mm galvanised garden wire. The ends (inside the elastic) are sealed with electrical shrink wrap to stop them falling off. Fold the hood in the correct way, press stud the bag onto the body and then carefully catch the wire hooks onto the hood frame after carefully rolling the hood. Make sure that you don't fold the 'glassite' window panels as they will scratch, or at worst crack.

Hood Bag Clips 01.jpg

• Thanks 1