Bulb cover mystery

RattyB

Hello everyone, this is my first ever post so very new to this, apologies! I have changed the bulbs in the speedometer on the Mkl as the ignition and main beam warning lights were not illuminated on engine turning over. The problem is, I have bulb covers on the ignition and oil pressure lights and absolutely nothing covering/holding the main beam light bulb in place! Any ideas on the best place to locate these parts? Any advice much appreciated.

20180908_121233.jpg

20180908_121017.jpg

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I think I just have push-in bulb holders on mine, certainly nothing as long as that in the photo.

Those long holders are needed to ensure that the main beam / oil / ignition warning lamps only illuminate the jewel and not the whole speedo, and conversely that the instrument illumination doesn't light up all three warning lamps. If you've never dismantled the speedo you won't be aware of them as they're like icebergs - 3/4 of the length is submerged inside the speedo head.

Thanks guys for your assistance. Rob - you're bang on about that bulb illuminating the speedo dial and not the main beam, am thinking may have to attend some autojumbles in our area to see if the bulb holder/cover comes up trumps. I'll give those other links a try as well, thank you.

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

Those long holders are needed to ensure that the main beam / oil / ignition warning lamps only illuminate the jewel and not the whole speedo, and conversely that the instrument illumination doesn't light up all three warning lamps. If you've never dismantled the speedo you won't be aware of them as they're like icebergs - 3/4 of the length is submerged inside the speedo head.

Yes, after I'd posted earlier I realised I was looking at them back to front.... and knew exactly what they were. A senior moment, yet again.

13 hours ago, RattyB said:

Thanks guys for your assistance. Rob - you're bang on about that bulb illuminating the speedo dial and not the main beam, am thinking may have to attend some autojumbles in our area to see if the bulb holder/cover comes up trumps. I'll give those other links a try as well, thank you.

If you have no luck, I do have a couple of old speedos lying around that could be cannibalised.