Start you blighter...

00/63484

Ok - so I fixed in a new dash to my modified 1500 spitfire powered Herald Convertible and carefully returned all cables correctly after a slight mishap with the light switch.

I turned the key and everything lights up normally. Timings right, electronic ign perfect, cables firmly in, head screwed tight,  compression V good, rockers and valves behaving normally, lots of sparkles at the plugs when sitting on the rocker cover, ...but no fire up.

Old petrol perhaps? So I put new in and cleaned out the pipes. Cleaned the HS4s. Checked vacuum pipes. 

Am at my wits end - it has NEVER failed me before!

Old Isleworth, West London if you're passing...!

David 

6 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Have you checked no1 is on its firing stroke and no1 lead is where the rotor is pointing ??

And firing order 1324  anticlockwise from the no1 position

Old fuel may not be up to scratch but it should still attempt to fire up.unless its got contaminated

Pete

I was going to say the same thing but possibly without the typo on the firing order ?   As Pete knows full well, it's 1342

With old fuel, a squirt of WD40 down the inlet will usually get it running.

Have you also checked the float chambers are actually full?

and with any car thats stood unused  make sure that when you pull the choke the jet drops  SU / the flap closes solex/ , the valve operates CDS,

the barrier  closes CD 

depending on just what make carb you have .  

just cause you pull the control  doesnt mean anything happens at the engine end 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

and with any car thats stood unused  make sure that when you pull the choke the jet drops  SU / the flap closes solex/ , the valve operates CDS,

the barrier  closes CD 

depending on just what make carb you have .  

just cause you pull the control  doesnt mean anything happens at the engine end 

Pete

I'll second that, my choke cable outer sleeve was stretching. Sleeve moving, cable wasn't fully.

All - famous unseen friends. many thanks. Yes, I spotted the firing order typo - at least I hope it was a typo and not foreign fake news...

Condenser fail. Thats a possibuility even though there's plenty of sparkles at the plugs...I'll also treble check the SUs are ding their job properly.

Firing order, timing all spot on.

The WD40 gag I haven't tried since when I had to start diesel diggers in sub zero temperatures at 5 am when I was a student...although it could have been diesel cold start stuff when i think about it..

Pity really, am missing this clement late summer..

Thanks All...I'll let you know..

DF

• 2 weeks later...

David,

You say it's got a good spark so It should try even if your battery's not too good. I notice your thread is called "start you blighter!" Have you tried a can of Easy start? A squirt into the carbs and if it tries electrics are OK and it's down to fuel supply.  I've had good compression, good spark, correct timing, but no start. Turned out to be leaking manifold gasket, air sucked in through a leak rather than fuel. Are your plugs wet with fuel after all this churning? They should be! 

Doug