Tilting Lifter for Spitfire? Other ideas?

Clive

Also true for a full height 2 poster, but there are many variations.... a low rise 2 poster, or mid rise hydraulic scissor lift to about 4' which is similar to the tilty lifty thingy I am trying. But mine is eminently portable.... Downside is mine is hardwork to get the car off the ground, but once up a bit my decent quality drill/driver will do the hard work.Not sure the recommended drill wattage will do the initial lift unless it can be geared down.

23 hours ago, clive said:

Colin, where do you place the pads under the car when using the 2 post lift?

I am coming to the conclusion that to have a 2 post lift or even a hydraulic mid-rise lift, you need to have a "bay" within a garage for lift use.

I can't get both sets of arms to reach the main chassis rails at the same time, so if I move the car forward slightly - not enough to affect the centre of balance - the front arms will reach the overlap between chassis rails and outrigger. For the other end, where they're about two feet short, I had a heavy steel bridge made up so that it sits around the rubber pads on the end of each arm and can slide freely but not slip off; car goes onto lift, the bridge is slid under, over one pad and across onto the other until it's equally spaced and then pads or blocks are slid on top so that they lift the same points at the rear. Same as the MOT centre does when they place blocks under the car then raise the body to check the suspension / wheels, which is where I got the idea from. 

The lift does take up quite a bit of room, though; about one and a half car spaces, so there's always something either on it or parked in the space.

DSCF6020.jpg.54dab002f57e13e7b274b34a63e58bf8.jpg

I've edited the post to attach a photo; the apparent downward angle of the car is because only the rear has been raised to allow rear half-shaft replacement and the front wheels are still on the ground. With the rear arm extensions wound fully down, and the fronts screwed up to match, the 'bridge' falls to the same level as the arms and so the car is usually level when raised.

Thanks Colin. Confirms I haven't missed something obvious. There really is no ideal place/method to support them! Handy that the chassis rails and bottom of the sill seams are all level.

Almost a shame we don't have the American spec chassis with the boot riggers....I have been tempted to add small outriggers just for axle stands, but probably won't ever happen now.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...