Testing J Type Overdrive

Darren Groves

J types seem generally  good  the solenoid is best stripped and check the body 0 rings and remove the 10mm circlip inside the sol valve body and check the loose 0 ringed spool piston inside is ok and rattles back and forth when you shake it

These can with age become sluggish and gives the OD a mind of its own

Needs a thin 1"af spanner to unscrew the solenoid,  dont use grips on the body , you can wreck it.

Not many places mention the little sod hidding inside the main sol body.

Dont see a way to tested the OD on its own , and if you try to test a gearbox it must be driven from the mainshaft as synchros have to spin up the clutch disc not the otherway round

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As the OD unit is of unknown heritage I thought I'd take it apart to see if there were any obvious problems. This is the cone clutch, what is the thoughts on the condition of the lining material. Good enough to go again or best to replace?

Sorry the pictures aren't great, the lighting was poor when I took them.

Darren

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

• 1 month later...

I decided to get the cone clutch relined by a local company, it's come back a looks a lot thicker than before around 4.5mm, I can't remember what it was previously but I seem to recall it was under 2mm, but I can't be sure. I did mention to the guy when I collected it looked thick, but he said they've done them before and that's how it's supposed to be, but just doesn't feel right to me. What's the general consensus on whether I should just fit or get it redone?

Darren

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

Hello Darren,

That does look a tad thick, not certain it was that thick when I looked at some on various reconditioning companies at the NEC in November.

Not sure if these photos will assist, but may give an indication as to depth - they are from my Vitesse prior to being rectified.

Best wishes.

Richard.

DSC00202.JPG

DSC00203.JPG

DSC00204.JPG

DSC00205.JPG

DSC00206.JPG

DSC00207.JPG

10 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

A call to dave twigger at od spares  rugby will give you the lining dimensions

Thanks Pete, I spoke to Dave, he's a very helpful guy.

For those that need the information, the measurement from the outside to outside of the inner & outer lining on a J Type OD should be 0.285", mine is almost double that so would never have gone back together. The process is to fit an overthick lining then machine back to the correct thickness, so the company that done it for me are going to take it back and do it.

Darren

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:19, Darren Groves said:

Is there any practical way of bench testing a J Type Overdrive?

Darren

Hello Darren

This is how I did mine and will do again as you can test the pressure and adjust if necessary if was a TR etc it will be to high 

http://buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/jod/JOD4/JOD4.htm

£30,000 miles ago but out again for oil leaks I will fit all new bearings, o/rings and seals and to gearbox

Its all in bits all over the bench every bit removed and cleaned.

Just waiting for some parts

Roger

ps I have a gauge if you want to borrow it? 

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:14, Darren Groves said:

Thanks Pete, I spoke to Dave, he's a very helpful guy.

For those that need the information, the measurement from the outside to outside of the inner & outer lining on a J Type OD should be 0.285", mine is almost double that so would never have gone back together. The process is to fit an overthick lining then machine back to the correct thickness, so the company that done it for me are going to take it back and do it.

Darren

Hello Darren 

I am glad you put the dimension of the over drive linings on here as I was wondering about mine.

I have measured it now and it is 0.288" to 0.290" and looks in good condition so can go back in with no real worries

Thank's

Roger