Looking at a Service Pit for my Vitesse

Paul H

1 minute ago, GT6M said:

How do ye jack things up with oot crack,n the pit !!!

and  what happens whenst things are dropped to pit floor !!

but still, muchess better than nowt at all.

well done

M

Mech-Mate provides a range of extras to make your inspection pit even more practical. See how a sliding jack beam

can   enhance your pit.

C359E6B3-3EC9-46E2-8B33-5A716C57784F.jpeg.7d9ed7c41cbb98759fac3b28f028144e.jpeg

Paul 

• 1 month later...

Very neat installation!

A good friend has a Mech-Mate pit and I've been very impressed with it.

For those where a pit isn't possible, perhaps a scissor lift / ramps may provide an alternative that raises the car higher than normal axle stands or drive on ramps. There seem to be quite a few on the market, not sure if anyone has any experience or observations on these devices.

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

love bigfella s set up. The blue scissor jack I presume if not please tell me where you bought it and what is is. How would that set up work with a Herald with the chassis runner down the centre of the car.  I have been looking for months at the best thing to purchase but every time I come unstuck with this issue. Ideally I want all four wheels off the deck. An comments welcome

CJ autos sell the tilting lift (the one under the TR6)

I have one, jury is out still on whether it is the best solution. On the plus side, it can be lifted and propped against the wall. And as it tilts, on my spitfire it means I can get the front or rear bumper to approx shoulder height, the lift having a max height of 600mm in the centre of the car. I couldn't get the width to adjust to suit my spitfire sills, so cut 2 lengths of 4x2 to sit across the, touches sill bottoms and the chassis rails. So a good thing. But the exhaust has to be off the car, or use pads on the wood cross beams. A herald may well pick up ok on the siderails and mainrails? The lifts are not exactly cheap at a few hundred quid, a thousand buys a hydraulic scissor lift which is better, but very heavy and awkward to store.

The alternaive is a pair of mobile axle stands and a decent trolley jack. You really need at least a 500mm lift and low entry.  

• 2 weeks later...

If stick a bubbler into that it could double as a spa pool.

Invite neighbours round and have 'those' type of parties😉

My dad tell the story of that the pit we had in our garage in Sunderland would freeze over in Winter😳

If I dug a pit in for my garage at high tide it would start to float😀

Adrian